Force between Two Current-Carrying Wires

In summary, the force between two current-carrying wires is an attractive or repulsive force that exists between two parallel wires when they are carrying electrical current. It can be calculated using the formula F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2π * d), and is affected by the distance, current strength, wire length, and angle of the wires. Depending on the direction of the currents, it can be either attractive or repulsive. This force has practical applications in motors, generators, electromagnets, electrical circuit design, and the study of electromagnetic fields.
Peter G.
Hi,

I always had difficulty with understanding how to determine whether the force between two current-carrying wires is attractive or repulsive. I know that if the currents are traveling in the same direction the force is attractive and repulsive if the currents are traveling in opposite directions, but, why?

Can anyone maybe direct me to a website that explains this well or just provide an explanation?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the force between two current-carrying wires?

The force between two current-carrying wires is the attractive or repulsive force that exists between two parallel wires when they are carrying electrical current.

How is the force between two current-carrying wires calculated?

The force between two current-carrying wires can be calculated using the following formula: F = (μ0 * I1 * I2 * L) / (2π * d), where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I1 and I2 are the currents in the two wires, L is the length of the wires, and d is the distance between the wires.

What factors affect the force between two current-carrying wires?

The force between two current-carrying wires is affected by the distance between the wires, the strength of the currents, and the length of the wires. It is also affected by the angle at which the wires are positioned relative to each other.

Is the force between two current-carrying wires attractive or repulsive?

The force between two current-carrying wires can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the direction of the currents. If the currents are flowing in the same direction, the force will be attractive, but if they are flowing in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive.

What practical applications does the force between two current-carrying wires have?

The force between two current-carrying wires has several practical applications, including in motors and generators, where it is used to produce motion, and in electromagnets, where it is used to generate a magnetic field. It is also important in the design of electrical circuits and in the study of electromagnetic fields.