Two current carrying wires. Confusion

In summary,Flying Pig is discussing the thumb rule for finding the direction of the cross product. Cupid.C has responded to Flying Pig's post and has clarified some of the information. Flying Pig's post is still relevant, so please continue reading.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

Let there be two current carrying wires with current flowing in the same direction. According to my book, they attract by the right hand rule. Now here is my question, since the B-field is popping inwards for one of the wires and the other one is popping outwards in the middle between the two wires, wouldn't that mean the B-field is 0? If it is then how can the B-field come back outwards and inwards again?

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:
If it is then how can the B-field come back outwards and inwards again?

I can't understand what you are asking

Yes it is

Then how can the Field come back in and out on the far right and left?

Last edited by a moderator:
flyingpig said:
Then how can the Field come back in and out on the far right and left?

Why then can't? they are two independent fields ...

like for electric field ... if you place a conductor in its path ... it is zero inside it but again gains its strength outside it

cupid.callin said:
Why then can't? they are two independent fields ...

like for electric field ... if you place a conductor in its path ... it is zero inside it but again gains its strength outside it

But is the B-field only 0 at the mid point? Or is it everywhere between the two wires

Think about this in three dimensions.
The ONLY place the B field is zero is right along the line that's midway between the wires.

only at the mid point because only at that point their strengths become equal and opposite

Edit:

Mag field due to long wire,
[tex]\vec{B}= \frac{\mu_{o}}{2\pi}\frac{i}{d}[/tex]

Just one other question, I noticed the "finger" cross product rule is different from the wrap around right hand rule (not the curl one, like most calculus textbook teaches one) and this observation uses the wrap around the current rule

Be more specific.

Are you referring to the rule which gives the direction of the B field around a current carrying wire, as "the wrap around right hand rule" ?

Yes that one.

Another question

If I want to find the B-field created by the wire on the left, why would I use the distance between the wires? Let d be the distance between the wires, so shouldn't I use d + x where x is a positive quantity.

flyingpig said:
Yes that one.
That's NOT a cross product at all. (Referring to the wrap around rule)

One question at a time, please! Your threads tend to get convoluted when you have multiple questions and/or topics in one post.

Another question

[STRIKE]If I want to find the B-field created by the wire on the left, why would I use the distance between the wires? Let d be the distance between the wires, so shouldn't I use d + x where x is a positive quantity.[/STRIKE]

OKay I will make a new thread and ask it there

No, it's OK now. Just didn't want to discuss two things in that one post -- plus it was a chance to give you a hard time. LOL

flyingpig said:
If I want to find the B-field created by the wire on the left, why would I use the distance between the wires? Let d be the distance between the wires, so shouldn't I use d + x where x is a positive quantity.

Why would you want to use d+x?

You need the B field (produced by the left wire) at the location of the wire on the right. The distance from on to the other is d.

Let x = 0 if you like.

SammyS said:
That's NOT a cross product at all. (Referring to the wrap around rule)

The thumb rule can be used to find the direction of cross product (if I'm getting correctly which rule is flyingpig talking about)

cupid.callin said:
The thumb rule can be used to find the direction of cross product (if I'm getting correctly which rule is flyingpig talking about)
Cupid.C,
Look at posts 12, 13, and 14.

What is the concept of "Two current carrying wires"?

The concept of "Two current carrying wires" refers to a scenario in which two wires are placed near each other and have an electric current flowing through them. This can occur in an electrical circuit or in a more general situation where electricity is present.

How do the currents in the two wires interact with each other?

The currents in the two wires will interact with each other through the magnetic fields they create. When two wires are placed close to each other, the magnetic fields will interact and can either attract or repel each other, depending on the direction of the currents.

What is the difference between parallel and perpendicular wires?

Parallel wires refer to wires that are placed side by side and have currents flowing in the same direction. Perpendicular wires, on the other hand, refer to wires that are placed at right angles to each other and have currents flowing in different directions. The interaction between the magnetic fields of parallel and perpendicular wires will be different.

Can the currents in the two wires cancel each other out?

Yes, the currents in the two wires can cancel each other out if they are flowing in opposite directions and are equal in magnitude. This is known as destructive interference and can be seen in situations where a wire with a current is placed next to a wire with an equal but opposite current.

What are some real-world applications of two current carrying wires?

Two current carrying wires have numerous real-world applications, including in electronic devices, power transmission, and electric motors. They are also used in scientific experiments to study the effects of electric and magnetic fields on each other. Understanding the interactions between two current carrying wires is crucial in many fields of engineering and physics.