1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force calculation (not 100% sure what type it is)

1. Oct 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spaceship with mass m = 800 kg moves freely in gravitionalfree zone. It moves with a constant velocity v = 1.5 km/s for t < 0. At t = 0 the spaceship is starting to break using a rocket acting on it with a time dependent force F(t) = Bt (T-t), where B is a positive constant, and the spaceship is at rest at T = 240s.

a) Find the constant B

b) Find the spaceships maximum acceleration under breaking

2. Relevant equations
    I dont want anyone to solve this for me. Im looking for pointers as to how i approach part (a) of this problem, since I havnt seen anything like it before, as far as i remember.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Nothing on papar yet.

The only thing I can think of is P = m a = 1.200.000 (kg*m)/s
    The problem is that doesnt help me

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should draw a free body diagram of the rocket and indicate all of the relevant forces acting on it. Find the net force and use Newton's Second Law of Motion.

BTW, the spaceship is "braking", not "breaking", unless it's flying to pieces.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted