1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force/density difference in liquid question

1. Aug 5, 2008 #1

lys

Hello,
    I am wondering how one can calculate the upwards force of a less dense object within a denser liquid based on the object's volume (or mass) and density, i.e of an air balloon in water.

I've already searched for an answer for a while, but just don't seem to be asking google the right questions.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 5, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Look up buoyancy and Archimedes's principle. Try: Buoyancy

4. Aug 5, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Start with Archimedes's principle: an object submerged in water (or other liquid or gas) displaces its own volume. The upward force (bouyant force is, I think, the technical term) is just the weight of the fluid displaced minus the weight of the object. Since weight= mg, that would be g(massfluid- massobject). Since, further, mass is just density time volume, the force is gV(densityfluid- densityobject), where V is the volume of the object.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?