Force on a rigid body inside a liquid flow

In summary, when a rigid body is placed inside a liquid flow, it experiences a force due to the interaction between the solid object and the fluid. This force can be calculated using the principles of fluid mechanics, such as Bernoulli's equation and the Navier-Stokes equation. The magnitude and direction of the force depend on factors such as the density and viscosity of the fluid, the shape and orientation of the object, and the velocity of the flow. Understanding this force is crucial in various applications, such as predicting the behavior of objects in water or air and designing aerodynamic structures.
Orochi663
TL;DR Summary
Looking for force change over a rigid body that is completely in a liquid and another liquid is pushed into the container from a direction
Hi,
I am trying to find out Force on a rigid body when it is completely inside a fluid with density p, i.e. the body is completely drowned in the liquid and then another liquid is pushed into the container with different density 'r' (such than r > p).
Thanks.

Attachments

• rigidbody.png
    rigidbody.png
    6.9 KB · Views: 199
Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is not specified sufficiently to provide a reasonable answer. Can you be more specific in your description?

@Orodruin not sure what is missing in here. Let me try to give example

Consider you have a bath tub full of water and there is (some thing that is rigid i.e. maintain its original shape when a force is applied over it, like e.g a toy, with some mass that is greater than the buoyant force, i.e. it does not float over the water but is inside the tub completely submerged) and then you pour in some other liquid like oil inside tub in large quantity like e.g: 500 ml , you see the that rigid toy will get disturbed i.e. some force has been applied over it through the disturbance of water when oil is poured into it. How the force acting on rigid body in such case will be calculated.

I have also added the figure in the original question.

Please do let me know what exactly is missing, and i will try to add it.

Do you want
(i) the force once everything has settled?
(ii) the force during the pouring?
In case (i) you need to specify the situation afterwards, ie, do the liquids mix? Do they form layers? How much of the object is covered in either liquid in the second case?
Case (ii) is a highly non-trivial hydrodynamics problem and you will not be able to find an easily expressable answer.

@Orodruin
Yeh i am looking for (ii) that is what is happening to the rigid body during the phenomena. Can you please point me to some book or paper that i can refer to.

Thanks.
Regards,

Orochi663 said:
@Orodruin
Yeh i am looking for (ii) that is what is happening to the rigid body during the phenomena. Can you please point me to some book or paper that i can refer to.

Thanks.
Regards,
There is no simple and easily expressable solution to that. It is going to depend on so many parameters and likely a turbulent flow involving a certain amount of randomness will develop as well. Compare with throwing dice - the dice follow classical mechanics yet the parameters involved in the throw makes the result essentially random. This case is similar, but with stronger dependence on input.

In general, forces on objects immersed in fluids would be within the realm of fluid dynamics, but you would need significant experience in advanced fluid dynamics to even come close to a solution.

@Orodruin, hmm thanks. What about if i try to approximate the movement, as we know the direction of fluid being poured ?

Can there be some kind of randomness we can define in the movement so that it can approximate the result. I am trying to do it in liquidfun (https://google.github.io/liquidfun/) i think thay have implemented Navier stokes solution so we don't have to calculate details; so i am wondering how to apply randomize force in such scenario.

Also, I am quite familiar with mathematics and advaned calculus, so in order to understand it all, if you can direct me to a resource on CFD or any paper, i will be grateful.

You would have to actually solve the Navier m-Stokes equations for your particular geometry and boundary conditions. This may be done to a certain degree by computer simulation, but I am not an expert in fluid dynamics. Somebody else may be able to help you further.

If the scenario is simple - say, the green fluid is much denser than the yellow, and the two are imiscible. If the tub is large and the pour-in point is far from the object, then the green will simply fill the tub from the bottom and the object will rise.

Otherwise, I think the numerical approach (e.g., some CFD variant) would be needed. Or even a test (actually build the tub and perform the fluid addition).

If this is for school or just for fun you might be able to get a free "student edition" software package.

1. What is the definition of "force on a rigid body inside a liquid flow"?

The force on a rigid body inside a liquid flow refers to the net force exerted on the body due to the pressure and viscous forces of the surrounding liquid.

2. How is the force on a rigid body inside a liquid flow calculated?

The force on a rigid body inside a liquid flow can be calculated using the equation F = ρVg, where F is the force, ρ is the density of the liquid, V is the volume of the body, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the force on a rigid body inside a liquid flow?

The force on a rigid body inside a liquid flow is affected by several factors, including the density and viscosity of the liquid, the size and shape of the body, and the velocity of the liquid flow.

4. How does the orientation of the rigid body affect the force on it inside a liquid flow?

The orientation of the rigid body can greatly affect the force on it inside a liquid flow. If the body is oriented perpendicular to the flow, it will experience more drag and therefore a greater force. If the body is oriented parallel to the flow, it will experience less drag and a smaller force.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the force on a rigid body inside a liquid flow?

Understanding the force on a rigid body inside a liquid flow is important in many fields, including fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, and naval architecture. It can be applied to design more efficient vehicles and structures, such as airplanes, ships, and submarines. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior of fluids in pipes, pumps, and other hydraulic systems.