1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force Due to Magnetic Field on a Charge Carrying Wire

1. Jun 25, 2008 #1
    Hi, I have a bit of a problem understanding one of the solutions for my assignment.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Normally we use the equation
    F = iL X B
    to find the force of a magnetic field on a wire with a current.

One of the questions asks to find the force on a section of wire between x=3 and x= 1, the wire's current is in the the negative x direction. The magnetic field is something like B=3i+8.0x^2

They used integration to solve the problem, integrating the change of force from 1 to 3. I'm wondering why this is used? Is it because the magnetic field is not uniform (it's in terms of x)? If the magnetic field is uniform, could we just have done F = iL x B with 2 being the L?

Thanks in advance!
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Is the magnetic field supposed to be B = 3i + 8.0x^2j?

If that's the case, then, yes, the field is not uniform over the section x = 3 to x = 1, so an integration is necessary over the length of the wire.
  4. Jun 26, 2008 #3
    You can only use [tex]\vec{F} = I (\vec{L} \times \vec{B})[/tex] when the magnetic field is constant. Since here, your magnetic field is different over a particular area, you have to use integration.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?