Magnetization of the free electron gas

• Thread starter chwu
  • Start date
chwu
Homework Statement
Show that, with this definition the total energy of the spin up components reads:
$$U^+ = U_0 (1+x)^{5/3} + \frac{1}{2} N \mu_B B (1+x)$$ where $$U_0=\frac{3}{10} N E_F$$, in terms of the usual Fermi energy of the gas at $$B=0; E_F = \hbar^2 (3\pi^2 N/V)^{2/3}/(2m)$$. Find the corresponding expression for $$U^-$$
Relevant Equations
$$N^+ = \frac{1}{2} N (1+x)$$ and $$N^- = \frac{1}{2} N (1-x)$$
Hello everybody, I tried the following approach. I calculated the density of states for the spin up states:

$$g_+(\epsilon + \mu_BB) = (1/2) g(\epsilon) \Rightarrow g_+ \frac{1}{2} g(\epsilon - \mu_B B)$$. As far as I understand it, this comes from the fact that when there is no magnetic field the spin up and spin down make up excactly half of the density of states (and of the occupation number) Now i'd like to perform the integral $$U_+ = \int_0^{E_F(B)} \epsilon g_+(\epsilon) d\epsilon$$, but for this I need the Fermi energy depending on the magnetic field $$E_F(B)$$ and I do not know yet how to obtain it. In fact I would like to obtain $$E_F(B)$$ in terms of x. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

1. What is the magnetization of the free electron gas?

The magnetization of the free electron gas refers to the magnetic moment per unit volume that arises from the alignment of the electron spins in a material with a high density of free electrons.

2. How does the magnetization of the free electron gas affect the material's magnetic properties?

The magnetization of the free electron gas contributes to the overall magnetic properties of the material, such as its susceptibility to magnetic fields and its ability to be magnetized.

3. What factors influence the magnetization of the free electron gas?

The magnetization of the free electron gas is influenced by factors such as the density of free electrons, the strength of the applied magnetic field, and the temperature of the material.

4. Can the magnetization of the free electron gas be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the magnetization of the free electron gas can be controlled and manipulated through various methods, such as applying an external magnetic field or changing the temperature of the material.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the magnetization of the free electron gas?

Understanding the magnetization of the free electron gas is crucial for developing magnetic materials for applications in technologies such as data storage, magnetic sensors, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).