Force exerted by Ferro-magnetic Electromagnet

In summary: The general formula for finding the force exerted by a solenoid electromagnet takes into account the inherent magnetic strength of the solenoid through the permeability constant k and the cross-sectional area A. If the solenoid has a ferromagnetic core, the force exerted would be significantly amplified due to the increased magnetic strength. This can be accounted for by adjusting the value of k in the formula.
Nythe
I've been confused for awhile about this and I haven't found any decent explanatory answers.
I read somewhere that the general formula for finding the force exerted by a solenoid electromagnet could be found by:

Force = ((N x I)^2 x k x A) / (2 x s^2)

where N is number of turns of a coil,
I is the current passing through the coil,
A is cross-sectional area of the solenoid,
s is distance between solenoid and external object,
k is permeability constant (4 x PI x 10^-7)

Which part of this formula takes into account the inherent magnetic strength of the solenoid? I mean, wouldn't there be a difference in the force exerted if the solenoid was ferromagnetic instead of non-ferromagnetic? Because I also read that a ferromagnetic core like soft iron would amplify the magnetic strength of the electromagnet several hundreds even thousands of times.
So how could I find the force that an iron core electromagnetic would exert using this formula? Thanks for any help..

Physics news on Phys.org
Nythe said:
I read somewhere that the general formula for finding the force exerted by a solenoid electromagnet could be found by:

Force = ((N x I)^2 x k x A) / (2 x s^2)

The force exerted on what? :wink:

Which part of this formula takes into account the inherent magnetic strength of the solenoid? I mean, wouldn't there be a difference in the force exerted if the solenoid was ferromagnetic instead of non-ferromagnetic? Because I also read that a ferromagnetic core like soft iron would amplify the magnetic strength of the electromagnet several hundreds even thousands of times.
So how could I find the force that an iron core electromagnetic would exert using this formula? Thanks for any help..

The magnetic field of a solenoid electromagnetic, along its axis, outside the solenoid, is proportional to to NI/s and can be found from the Biot-Savart Law.

What is a ferro-magnetic electromagnet?

A ferro-magnetic electromagnet is a type of electromagnet that is made up of a ferromagnetic core, such as iron or nickel, and a coil of wire that runs around it. The coil of wire is used to create a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

How much force can a ferro-magnetic electromagnet exert?

The force exerted by a ferro-magnetic electromagnet depends on the strength of the magnetic field it creates, which in turn is determined by the amount of electrical current passing through the coil of wire. The more current that is passed through the wire, the stronger the magnetic field and the greater the force that can be exerted.

What factors affect the force exerted by a ferro-magnetic electromagnet?

The force exerted by a ferro-magnetic electromagnet is affected by several factors, including the strength of the electrical current, the number of turns in the coil of wire, the size and composition of the ferromagnetic core, and the distance between the electromagnet and the object it is exerting force on.

Can the force exerted by a ferro-magnetic electromagnet be controlled?

Yes, the force exerted by a ferro-magnetic electromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the strength of the electrical current passing through the coil of wire. This can be done using a variable power supply or by changing the number of turns in the coil.

What are the applications of ferro-magnetic electromagnets?

Ferro-magnetic electromagnets have many practical applications, such as in motors, generators, speakers, and MRI machines. They are also used in industrial settings for lifting and separating metal objects, and in research laboratories for manipulating small particles.