1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force exerted by Ferro-magnetic Electromagnet

1. Aug 4, 2012 #1
    I've been confused for awhile about this and I haven't found any decent explanatory answers.
    I read somewhere that the general formula for finding the force exerted by a solenoid electromagnet could be found by:

Force = ((N x I)^2 x k x A) / (2 x s^2)

where N is number of turns of a coil,
    I is the current passing through the coil,
    A is cross-sectional area of the solenoid,
    s is distance between solenoid and external object,
    k is permeability constant (4 x PI x 10^-7)

Which part of this formula takes into account the inherent magnetic strength of the solenoid? I mean, wouldn't there be a difference in the force exerted if the solenoid was ferromagnetic instead of non-ferromagnetic? Because I also read that a ferromagnetic core like soft iron would amplify the magnetic strength of the electromagnet several hundreds even thousands of times.
    So how could I find the force that an iron core electromagnetic would exert using this formula? Thanks for any help..

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The force exerted on what? :wink:

The magnetic field of a solenoid electromagnetic, along its axis, outside the solenoid, is proportional to to NI/s and can be found from the Biot-Savart Law.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook