Force exerted on bar by pin support

In summary, the 8kg slender bar is released from rest in the horizontal position. When it has fallen 45 degrees, the x and y components of force exerted on the bar by the pin support are 1.5x and 0.5x of the weight of the bar, respectively.
Hanga

Homework Statement

The 8kg slender bar is released from rest in the horizontal position. When it has fallen 45 degrees, what are the x and y components of force exerted on the bar by the pin support A?

Homework Equations

F=ma where a= a t_hatt + v^2/p n_hat
sin(45)=cos(45)=1/sqrt(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

The force exerted on bar by pin support is the inverted force acting on the bar downward. I see it as pretty much the same as a box on a floor, in order for the box not to go through the floor an equal force must be pushing it upward, so this should also be the case for the bar and pin support.

Thus I assume: F+mg.

In attached picture I show each force I know and from there I can see that these forces acting in each direction;
t_hat:ma+mg/sqrt(2)
a_hat:mv^2/p - mg/sqrt(2)

Now, the way I've put out my t-axis and n-axis I'll should get my inverted F as; F=-ma+mg/sqrt(2) t_hat + mv^2/p - mg/sqrt(2)
This however is wrong. There is nothing else in this question I don't understand but this.

My professors answer on this is: F=ma-mg/sqrt(2) t_hat + mv^2/p + mg/sqrt(2), and for some reason I just can't understand what he has done.

Can someone please explain why gravity acts negative in t_hat and positive in n_hat while the rest of F stays the same? I think I've wasted like 3 hours on this problem :P

Attachments

• problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 547
Physics news on Phys.org
Hanga said:
The force exerted on bar by pin support is the inverted force acting on the bar downward. I see it as pretty much the same as a box on a floor, in order for the box not to go through the floor an equal force must be pushing it upward, so this should also be the case for the bar and pin support.
I don't understand this statement. Are you assuming equilibrium?

Thus I assume: F+mg.
This is fine. (Except for the 'thus', as it doesn't seem to follow from the previous statement.) All you are saying here is that the total force on the bar is the weight plus the support force from the pivot.

In attached picture I show each force I know and from there I can see that these forces acting in each direction;
t_hat:ma+mg/sqrt(2)
a_hat:mv^2/p - mg/sqrt(2)
I don't understand what you're doing here. I assume you intend these to be the forces from the pivot? (Your diagram doesn't really show forces, except for mg.)

Do this. What's ΣF in each direction? Apply Newton's 2nd law.

For example, calling the tangential force from the pivot Ft, the total tangential force is:
ΣF(tangential) = Ft + mg/sqrt(2)

Applying Newton's 2nd law:
Ft + mg/sqrt(2) = ma

Thus: Ft = ma - mg/sqrt(2)

Do the same for the other component.

Indeed you are freggin correct! I'm going to try this method on more example exercises 'till I fully understand it!
Thank you, sir/mam!

1. What is the definition of "force exerted on bar by pin support?"

The force exerted on a bar by a pin support is the reaction force that is applied to the bar at the point where it is attached to the pin support. This force is perpendicular to the bar and is directed towards the pin support.

2. How is the force exerted on the bar by the pin support calculated?

The force exerted on the bar by the pin support can be calculated using the principles of statics. It is equal to the sum of all the external forces acting on the bar, which includes the weight of the bar and any other loads or forces applied to it.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the force exerted on the bar by the pin support?

The magnitude of the force exerted on the bar by the pin support depends on the weight of the bar, the angle at which it is attached to the pin support, and any external forces or loads acting on the bar.

4. How does the direction of the force exerted on the bar by the pin support affect the stability of the bar?

The direction of the force exerted on the bar by the pin support is crucial to the stability of the bar. If the force is not perpendicular to the bar, it can cause the bar to rotate and become unstable. Additionally, if the force is directed towards the pin support, it can also cause instability.

5. What are some real-world examples of the force exerted on a bar by a pin support?

Some examples of the force exerted on a bar by a pin support include a ladder leaning against a wall, a swing hanging from a tree branch, and a flagpole attached to a building. In all of these cases, the pin support is the point of attachment and the force exerted on the bar is perpendicular to the support.