Force of Dipole on Proton: Calculating E and F

  • Thread starter Thread starter elli
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dipole Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 8K views
elli
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A dipole is centered at the origin, and is composed of charged particles with charge +e and -e, separated by a distance 7 ✕ 10-10 m along the y axis. The +e charge is on the -y axis, and the -e charge is on the +y axis. A proton is located at <0, 3 ✕ 10-8, 0> m. What is the force on the proton, due to the dipole?

Homework Equations


E=k*[(2*q*s)/(r^3)]
F=E*q


The Attempt at a Solution


I calculated the electric field using the equation for a charged particle on axis with a dipole. I then multiplied that electric field by the charge of the proton(1.6e-19)
I'm very lost with all this dipole stuff. Any and all help is appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Show the equation that you used. Sketch the relative positions of the particles. Hint: you'll only need one axis to do it!
 
What I have is k=9e9
q=-1.6e-19
s=7e-10
r=(3e-8)-(7e-10/2)=2.965e-8
E=-77342.2N/C
The charge of the proton is 1.6e-19
I think the force should therefore be (0,1.6e-19*-77342.2,0)=(0,-1.237e-14,0).
But that's just not working:(
 
What coordinate axis are the dipole electrons on?

What coordinate axis is the proton on?