Force of Friction: Stopping 1,000kg Car at .8 Coeff.

In summary, the driver of a 1,000kg car traveling at 30m/sec applies the brakes with a .75sec delay. The car slows down at the maximum possible rate for a coefficient of friction of .80 between the road and tires. The force of friction acting to stop the car is calculated using the equation Ff=.8(1000kg) and taking into account the acceleration due to gravity (9.81m/sec2). This can be further explored using the stopping distance and final velocity of the car.
PhysxMakesMeCry
A driver of a 1,000kg car is traveling at a speed of 30m/sec when he sees an obstruction in the road. It takes driver .75sec to apply foot to brakes. The car begins to slow down at max rate possible for a coefficient of friction of .80 between the road and tires.

My question is: what is the force of friction acting to stop the car after the brakes are applied?

I would think the equation would be Ff=.8(1000kg) but I thought the force of friction needed to be in Newtons and that doesn't give me a final answer in Newtons.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I forgot I left out 9.81m/sec2

Here the frictional force=retarding force. frictional force=f=(coefficient of friction)×(mg)=μmg; if stopping distance=s then v2=u2-2as where a=f/m=μg. as the car finally stops so v=0; put all the values......

Hope you will find this link useful : https://problemsofphysics.wordpress.com/2015/07/06/more-than-50-thought-provoking-problems-on-friction/

Last edited by a moderator:

What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another surface. It is caused by the microscopic roughness of surfaces and can be affected by factors such as the type of material, weight, and speed of the object.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is represented by the symbol "µ" and is a unitless value ranging from 0 to 1, with higher values indicating a greater amount of friction.

How is the coefficient of friction determined?

The coefficient of friction can be determined by conducting experiments in which the force required to move an object across a surface is measured and divided by the weight of the object. This is known as the coefficient of static friction. The coefficient of kinetic friction, which is the amount of friction between two surfaces in motion, can also be determined through experiments.

What is the force of friction?

The force of friction is the amount of resistance that a surface exerts on an object in motion. In the case of a car being stopped, the force of friction would be equal to the force required to overcome the car's inertia and bring it to a complete stop.

How is the stopping distance of a car affected by the coefficient of friction?

The stopping distance of a car is directly affected by the coefficient of friction between its tires and the road. A higher coefficient of friction means a greater amount of friction, which results in a shorter stopping distance. Therefore, a car with a higher coefficient of friction would be able to stop in a shorter distance compared to a car with a lower coefficient of friction.