1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force of Friction w/o Coefficient of Friction Given

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1
    I am having trouble determining what the force of friction of the box on a table described as below:

Two blocks are arranged at the ends of a massless string. M1 is on the table. M2 is attached to another side of the rope hanging off of the side of a table with a massless pulley (90 degrees from the table).

M1= 4.78KG
    M2 = 3.26 KG

When M2 has fallen through .396m, its downward speed is 1.29 m/s. Acceleration of gravity is 9.8. What is the frictional force between M1 and the table?

My first step was to find the acceleration with I figured to be 4.202. (By taking the acceleration formula A=V2-V1/T2-T1. I figured the time in this formula by using the velocity formula and solved for T.

My next step was to figure out the tension force which I think is where I am getting confused on where to go. I want to find the Tension force and subtract that from the Net force to find the force of friction, but I am having difficulty determining the net force an now I am not so sure I am figuring out the tension force correctly.

I am calculating the Tension force by taking T=M2(-A)+M2(9.8). Can you please help me finish?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi stehat! welcome to pf! :smile:

(btw, always use a small "t" for time, so as not to confuse with tension :wink:)
    i don't follow this: what formula did you use? :confused:
    yes, M2a = M2g - T …

now do a similar F = Ma equation for the other block :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook