Force of gravity between 2 bars

In summary: But if you're talking about putting all the mass at the center of mass, then I'm not sure how you would go about that.In summary, to calculate the gravitational attraction between two objects, you would need to calculate the mass and radius of gyration of each object, and then use the mass-radius equation to calculate the gravitational attraction.
NotMrX
Suppose you had two bars with mass m and length L and there were parallel to each other, along the same line and a distance d apart. How do we calculate the force between them?
______________ ______________
|-----L--------| |------d-------| |-------L-------|

I figured out how to do it if it is a bar and point mass. Then I thought maybe if add up the particles forces along the line but I couldn't get it to work out.
Density = E = M/L; dm = E dr
F = G(massofparticle)E dr/r^2 = G(mass of particle)(1/r)
mass of partlcle = dm = E dr
And then evaluate the integral again to get the force for the sum of particles but I don't think that method works.

Physics news on Phys.org
the drawing messed up

____________ empty space ___________
|------L------||----d-----||-----L------|

I think the method is correct but first you have to find the force on a small particle of length dx at distance x from the end of second rod due to all particels of the first rod and then integrate again for all particles of second.

The best way to find field due to first rod as a function of distance r from ond end of first rod and then integrate for the different force on the second rod.

mukundpa said:
I think the method is correct but first you have to find the force on a small particle of length dx at distance x from the end of second rod due to all particels of the first rod...

F= GMdm/r^2 where M is the mass of the particle
dm = Density dx = (m/L) dx
F = G M m/L *(1/x^2)dx where x can be from d to d + L
F = G*M*m/L/x +C

mukundpa said:
...and then integrate again for all particles of second...

F = G*m/L*dm/x = G*(m/L)^2 Ln X where is x from L+d to 2L+D
F= G*(m/L)^2 Ln [(2L+D)/(L+D)]

Something doesn't seem right with the bounds of the integral?

[tex] F = \int [\int \frac{G(m/L)dx}{(r-x)^2}] (m/L)dr [/tex]

The inner integral is for first rod from x=0 to x=L and the outer integral is for second rod from r= L+d to r=2L+d

Attachments

• 6811.doc
    14.5 KB · Views: 223
Thank you for your help. I think I figured out where that integral came from so I tried to work some similar examples.

for two bars parrelel in a rectangle

_________

_________

I ended up with the following integral where lambda is density and both bars has same mass and length with a vertical distance Y between them.
I hope I got latex to work correctly.

[tex]/{int}/{int}/frac{G/{lambda}Y}{[Y^2 + (x-r)^2]^(3/2)}dx/{lambda}dx[/tex]

If I is the integral sign

I I [G*(m/L)*Y/(Y^2+(x-r)^2)^(3/2)*dx*m/L*dr

Where both integrals are from 0 to L

Did anyone else get the same answer?

Last edited:
[tex]\int\int\frac{G\lambdaY}{\sqrt[3]{Y^2+(x-r)^2}}dx\lamda\dr[/tex]
fingers crossed

I could be wrong, but can't you just calculate the gravitational attraction with the simplification of putting all the mass at the center of mass for each object? Isn't that how we deal with gravitational attraction for objects and the Earth?

Well... If you're talking about using the mass and the radius of gyration of the two bars, I think that might work.

1. How is the force of gravity between two bars calculated?

The force of gravity between two bars is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the masses of the two objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What factors affect the force of gravity between two bars?

The force of gravity between two bars is affected by the masses of the bars, as well as the distance between them. The force decreases as the distance between the two bars increases, and increases as the masses of the bars increase.

3. Can you have a negative force of gravity between two bars?

No, the force of gravity between two bars is always positive. It is always an attractive force, pulling the two objects towards each other.

4. How does the force of gravity between two bars change if one of the bars is removed?

If one of the bars is removed, the force of gravity between the remaining bar and any other object in the vicinity will decrease. This is because the mass of the system has decreased, and the distance between the remaining bar and the other object has increased.

5. Can the force of gravity between two bars be greater than the force of gravity between two planets?

It is possible for the force of gravity between two bars to be greater than the force of gravity between two planets, as the force of gravity is dependent on the masses and distances of the objects involved. However, this is unlikely to occur in most scenarios as the mass and size of planets are significantly larger than that of bars.