Fictitious forces on a rigid body

In summary, the centrifugal force on the bob is not affected by the motion of the rod, and can be determined by using Newtonian Mechanics.
chris25
Homework Statement
A pendulum is designed for use on a gravity-free spacecraft. The pendulum consists of a mass at the end of a rod of length l. The pivot at the other end of the rod is forced to move in a circle of radius R with angular frequency ω. Let θ be the angle the rod makes with the radial direction. Show this system behaves exactly like a pendulum of length l in a uniform gravitational field g = ω𝑅^2. That is, show that θ(t) is a solution for one system if and only if it is for the other.
Relevant Equations
F=wR^2
I was confused by how to work this problem in a rotating frame. The solution read that the centrifugal force on the mass should be of magnitude 𝑚𝑤𝑅^2. However, I thought it would be 𝑚𝑤𝐿^2 where L is the distance between the mass and the center of the circle (L = l + R). What am I missing here?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 3.55.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-22 at 3.55.53 PM.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 54
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to make some approximations based on assuming that ##R \gg l##. I don't like it that they said "behaves exactly like..."

TSny said:
I think you need to make some approximations based on assuming that ##R \gg l##. I don't like it that they said "behaves exactly like..."
If that diagram came with the question, it does not intend ##R \gg l##.

haruspex said:
Do you have any idea why the solution is what it is?

haruspex said:
Yes, thanks. I jumped the gun. It turns out that no approximations need to be made other than neglecting the Coriolis force.
[Edit: Actually, since the Coriolis force would act along the pendulum rod, it would only affect the tension in the rod. It would not affect the equation of motion for ##\theta##. So, I think there is an exact correspondence!]

Last edited:
chris25 said:
Do you have any idea why the solution is what it is?
Have you studied how to get the equation of motion from a Lagrangian?

TSny said:
Have you studied how to get the equation of motion from a Lagrangian?
Not yet, I've only studied newtonian mechanics

OK. You can just use Newtonian mechanics.

Let ##r## be the instantaneous distance from the center of the circle of radius ##R## to the pendulum bob. How would you express the centrifugal force ##F_c## on the bob in terms of ##r##? Use some trigonometry to find the component of ##F_c## along the tangent of the circle of radius ##l## that the bob moves along. Nice simplification occurs.

chris25 said:
Not yet, I've only studied newtonian mechanics
In Newtonian Mechanics, have you learned about expressing Newton's 2nd law of motion as reckoned from an accelerating frame of reference?

chris25 said:
Homework Statement:: A pendulum is designed for use on a gravity-free spacecraft. The pendulum consists of a mass at the end of a rod of length l. The pivot at the other end of the rod is forced to move in a circle of radius R with angular frequency ω. Let θ be the angle the rod makes with the radial direction. Show this system behaves exactly like a pendulum of length l in a uniform gravitational field g = ω𝑅^2. That is, show that θ(t) is a solution for one system if and only if it is for the other.
Relevant Equations:: F=wR^2

I was confused by how to work this problem in a rotating frame. The solution read that the centrifugal force on the mass should be of magnitude 𝑚𝑤𝑅^2. However, I thought it would be 𝑚𝑤𝐿^2 where L is the distance between the mass and the center of the circle (L = l + R). What am I missing here?
The centrifugal force on the bob is in the radial direction from the center of rotation of the rod, and is given by ##m\omega^2 \bf{L}##. So the centrifugal force is not that produced by a uniform gravitational field. You need to determine the component of this force in the theta direction of the bob motion (see figure). When you complete the analysis, the motion will be the same as if the rod were not rotating and the bob were in a uniform gravitational field of magnitude ##g=\omega^2R##.

1. What are fictitious forces on a rigid body?

Fictitious forces, also known as inertial forces, are apparent forces that arise in non-inertial reference frames due to the acceleration of the reference frame itself. They are not caused by any physical interaction, but rather by the motion of the observer.

2. How do fictitious forces affect a rigid body?

Fictitious forces do not actually affect the rigid body itself, but rather they create the illusion of additional forces acting on the body. In reality, the body is only experiencing the acceleration of the reference frame.

3. What are some examples of fictitious forces on a rigid body?

Some common examples of fictitious forces on a rigid body include the centrifugal force experienced by objects in circular motion, the Coriolis force experienced by objects on a rotating reference frame, and the Euler force experienced by objects on a rotating reference frame with non-uniform angular velocity.

4. How are fictitious forces calculated?

Fictitious forces can be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the acceleration of the reference frame and the relative position and velocity of the object within that frame. These equations are based on the laws of motion and can vary depending on the specific type of fictitious force being considered.

5. Why are fictitious forces important in physics?

Fictitious forces are important in physics because they help us understand and predict the motion of objects in non-inertial reference frames. They also play a crucial role in many real-world applications, such as in the design of vehicles and structures that experience acceleration or rotation.