1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on a charge at the center of a non-uniform charge density cylinder

1. Sep 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a cylinder, radius R and length L. Suppose the cylinder is charged with a volume charge given by P+P0 + Bz, where p0 and B are constants. Find the force on a charge Q at the center of the cylinder.

2. Relevant equations

E=q/4*pi*e*r^2

3. The attempt at a solution

I first found the electric field contribution of a disk with uniform charge density on a point z above the center of the disk, where e is epsilon-not and o is the charge density on the disk.

[tex]\int \frac{z r o 2 \pi }{4 \pi e \left(r^2+z^2\right)^{3/2}} \, dr[/tex]

The indefinite integral gave me

[tex]-\frac{o z}{2 e \sqrt{r^2+z^2}}[/tex]

Evaluating from 0 to R gave me

(oz/2e)*(1/z-(z^2+r^2)^-1)

I then used this to evaluate the integral from -z/2 to z/2 on the cylinder, and came up with this expression:

[tex]\int_{-\frac{L}{2}}^{\frac{L}{2}} \left(\left(\frac{L}{2}+z\right) b+p\right) z \left(\frac{1}{z}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{r^2+z^2}}\right) \, dz[/tex]

I have two questions:

Have I gone about this problem correctly so far, and how do I proceed from here. I don't know how to evaluate the integral. I figured I'd calculate the E-field first and then the force.

Thanks for any help...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2009 #2
    Plugging this into mathematica gives

[tex]\text{If}\left[\text{Im}\left[\frac{r}{L}\right]\geq \frac{1}{2}\left\|\text{Im}\left[\frac{r}{L}\right]\leq -\frac{1}{2}\right\|\text{Re}\left[\frac{r}{L}\right]\neq 0,\frac{-2 b L^3-8 b L r^2+4 b L^2 \sqrt{L^2+4 r^2}+8 L p \sqrt{L^2+4 r^2}-4 b r^2 \sqrt{L^2+4 r^2} \text{Log}[2]+b r^2 \sqrt{L^2+4 r^2} \text{Log}[16]-4 b r^2 \sqrt{L^2+4 r^2} \text{Log}\left[-L+\sqrt{L^2+4 r^2}\right]+4 b r^2 \sqrt{L^2+4 r^2} \text{Log}\left[L+\sqrt{L^2+4 r^2}\right]}{8 \sqrt{L^2+4 r^2}},\text{Integrate}\left[\left(b \left(\frac{L}{2}+z\right)+p\right) \left(1-\frac{z}{\sqrt{z^2+r^2}}\right),\left\{z,-\frac{L}{2},\frac{L}{2}\right\},\text{Assumptions}\to !\left(\text{Im}\left[\frac{r}{L}\right]\geq \frac{1}{2}\left\|\text{Im}\left[\frac{r}{L}\right]\leq -\frac{1}{2}\right\|\text{Re}\left[\frac{r}{L}\right]\neq 0\right)\right]\right][/tex]

The indefinite integral gives [tex](-(2 p + b (L + z)) (r^2 + z (z - Sqrt[r^2 + z^2])) +
    b r^2 Sqrt[r^2 + z^2] Log[z + Sqrt[r^2 + z^2]])/(2 Sqrt[r^2 + z^2])[/tex]

I could evaluate the indefinite but I'm not sure if I've set the problem up correctly. Again, any help would be appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook