1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on a conductor in a magnetic field

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Bill knows that a solution with an ionic salt dissolved in itwill allow a current to flow. Bill finds this quite interesting, so he finds a piece of plastic tubing and hangs it from an apparatus. He pours seawater into the tube until it is full. He then moves a magnet around the tube. Bill then uses a cell to create a current in the solution. Will a force act on the tube? Explain your answer.

2. Relevant equations
    F = BIL

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea. I'm not sure if F = BIL only applies to electron flow, or ion flow as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nope, F=BiL works for all currents :smile:

4. Oct 16, 2007 #3
    You sure, got some proof? It is a bit far-fetched to just take someone's word for it. Because as far as I know, in electron flow, only electrons move. Whereas, in ion flow, cations and anions both flow in different directions.

5. Oct 16, 2007 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indeed cations and anions flow in the opposite directions; however, the question states that there is a current flowing, this means there must be more cations flowing than anions [or vice versa]. Since we have a current, we have a force...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?