Force on a conductor in a magnetic field

Homework Statement

Bill knows that a solution with an ionic salt dissolved in itwill allow a current to flow. Bill finds this quite interesting, so he finds a piece of plastic tubing and hangs it from an apparatus. He pours seawater into the tube until it is full. He then moves a magnet around the tube. Bill then uses a cell to create a current in the solution. Will a force act on the tube? Explain your answer.

Homework Equations

F = BIL

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea. I'm not sure if F = BIL only applies to electron flow, or ion flow as well.

Answers and Replies

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have no idea. I'm not sure if F = BIL only applies to electron flow, or ion flow as well.
Nope, F=BiL works for all currents :smile:

You sure, got some proof? It is a bit far-fetched to just take someone's word for it. Because as far as I know, in electron flow, only electrons move. Whereas, in ion flow, cations and anions both flow in different directions.

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You sure, got some proof? It is a bit far-fetched to just take someone's word for it. Because as far as I know, in electron flow, only electrons move. Whereas, in ion flow, cations and anions both flow in different directions.
Indeed cations and anions flow in the opposite directions; however, the question states that there is a current flowing, this means there must be more cations flowing than anions [or vice versa]. Since we have a current, we have a force...