1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force on Current-Carrying Conductor

1. May 31, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A proton (q = 1.6 x 10-19C; m = 1.7 x 10-27 kg) is in a uniform 0.25 T magnetic field. The proton moves in a clockwise circle with a tangential speed of 2.8 x 105 m/s.

What is the radius of the circle?

2. Relevant equations

Not sure what equation to use.

3. The attempt at a solution

We had been learning about magnitude of a magnetic field, and the equation we were working with was B=Fmagnetic/qV, I wasn't sure how to use this to find radius.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2012 #2
    Hi cocololo. Yes you can use the equation F=Bqv, which is the force due to the magnetic field which always points towards the centre of the circle so you can equate the magnetic force to the centripetal force and you should be able to workout the radius from that.

4. May 31, 2012 #3
    Oh, of course! I think I was thinking way too hard about this looking for something way more complicated than it actually was. Thanks!

5. May 31, 2012 #4
    You're welcome. Anything else you need help with?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook