Force required to bend/dent aluminum

In summary, In order to show an example of bad physics in a movie for a physics class, the individual has chosen the movie Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior and the scene where the gyro captain crashes his ultralight helicopter. Despite the crash, the helicopter appears undamaged and is even used later in the movie. The individual needs to calculate the force required to dent aluminum assuming a 45 degree angle with the ground. However, they are unsure if it is as simple as using impulse and suggest approaching it from an energy perspective by comparing it to a car crash or calculating the equivalent amount of dynamite. They have decided to compare it to car crashes from the 1950s as that was before the concept of "crum
Joe Butler
For my physics class we have to show an example of bad physics in a movie. I am doing Mad Max 2: The road Warrior and the scene where the gyro captain crashes his ultralight helicopter but the helicopter is completely undamaged as he drives it later in the movie. I need to know what the force to dent aluminum would be assuming that he crashed with a 45 degree angle with the ground. I was going to use impulse as he goes from just over 56ft/s to 0 in .13s and use that to find force and we assume his plane weighs 500lbs.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not my field but I don't think it's that simple to calculate. Perhaps it would be easier approach it from an energy perspective. Compare the energy the gyrocopter has with a typical car crash or calculate the equivalent amount of dynamite.

Likes Joe Butler
CWatters said:
Not my field but I don't think it's that simple to calculate. Perhaps it would be easier approach it from an energy perspective. Compare the energy the gyrocopter has with a typical car crash or calculate the equivalent amount of dynamite.
Thank You! I actually decided to compare it to car crashes from the 1950s as that was the pre"crumple zone" era

What is the force required to bend/dent aluminum?

The amount of force required to bend or dent aluminum depends on several factors such as the thickness, alloy, and temper of the aluminum. Generally, a force of about 40,000 pounds per square inch (psi) is needed to dent aluminum. However, this can vary depending on the specific type of aluminum.

How does the thickness of aluminum affect the force required to bend/dent it?

The thicker the aluminum, the greater the force needed to bend or dent it. This is because thicker aluminum has a higher resistance to deformation. Therefore, more force is required to overcome this resistance and cause bending or denting.

Does the alloy of aluminum make a difference in the force required to bend/dent it?

Yes, the alloy of aluminum can significantly affect the force required to bend or dent it. For example, aluminum alloys with a higher strength-to-weight ratio, such as 7075-T6, will require more force to bend or dent compared to a softer alloy like 1100-H14.

How does the temper of aluminum influence the force required to bend/dent it?

The temper, or hardness, of aluminum can also impact the force needed to bend or dent it. Aluminum in its annealed or soft temper state will require less force to bend or dent compared to aluminum in a harder temper state, such as fully hardened or heat-treated aluminum.

What are some methods to calculate or estimate the force required to bend/dent aluminum?

There are various methods and equations that can be used to calculate or estimate the force required to bend or dent aluminum. Some common methods include using the modulus of elasticity, the moment of inertia, or the yield strength of the aluminum. Additionally, conducting physical tests, such as a tension or bending test, can also provide an accurate estimate of the force needed.