1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Force required to bend/dent aluminum

1. Jan 12, 2017 #1
    For my physics class we have to show an example of bad physics in a movie. I am doing Mad Max 2: The road Warrior and the scene where the gyro captain crashes his ultralight helicopter but the helicopter is completely undamaged as he drives it later in the movie. I need to know what the force to dent aluminum would be assuming that he crashed with a 45 degree angle with the ground. I was going to use impulse as he goes from just over 56ft/s to 0 in .13s and use that to find force and we assume his plane weighs 500lbs.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2017 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not my field but I don't think it's that simple to calculate. Perhaps it would be easier approach it from an energy perspective. Compare the energy the gyrocopter has with a typical car crash or calculate the equivalent amount of dynamite.

4. Jan 13, 2017 #3
    Thank You! I actually decided to compare it to car crashes from the 1950s as that was the pre"crumple zone" era

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted