Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force required to move a vehicle

1. Jun 12, 2013 #1
    Am designing a three wheeled cycle. The total gross weight of my vehicle including the frame + riders will be around 300Kg, which has to move at 20Kmph(5.55 m/s) speed . The basic driving force will be provided by pedaling.

Assuming the least acceleration to start from rest as 0.2m/s^2, how should i calculate the pedal force required?

I started with this approach -
    Step 1: Acceleration = 0.2m/s^2
    Step 2: Total force required = Rolling Frictional force + Accelerating Force
    = 0.005*300*9.81 + 300*0.2 = 74.7 N
    Step 3: Wheel Torque = Force X Wheel radius = 74.7*0.3 = 22Nm.
    Step 4: Assuming no Gearing between wheel and pedal, Pedal Torque = Pedal force*Radius of pedal
    So i get pedal force = 22 / (0.18) = 122 N

I my method/approach correct ?

Here I have used just the linear velocity and acceleration, since am dealing with pedals and wheels should I deal with the rotational velocity and acceleration?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 12, 2013 #2
    I think you should add:

inertia
    grade (if any intended)

4. Jun 12, 2013 #3

jack action

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can use this acceleration simulator (it is made for an engine-powered vehicle but all the basic equations apply to pedal-powered vehicle as well).

All the forces you need to know are described at the bottom of the page in the section Theory»»Longitudinal acceleration»»Accelerating

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook