Forced Oscillations (proving diff equation by subsitution)

In summary, the original equation is:m*dx^2 + b* dx + kx = F_nat*cos(wt)with x equal to:Asin(wt + phi)A = F-nat/ mh where h = \sqrt{(\omega^{2}-\omega_{0}^{2})^{2} + b^{2}\omega^{2}/m^{2}}tan(\phi) = \frac{ (\omega^{2}-\omega_{0}^{2})}{\omega(b/m)}The Attempt at a Solutionwhen
hjr

Homework Statement

By substituting the proper equations I showed that the equation is right when time = phi/w.
Now when I make cos = o and sin = 1 and time = (pi/2 - phi)/w I can't solve the equation.

Homework Equations

If you need to see all the equations i can give it to you but I am pretty sure at this stage they are not needed. The original diff equation is:

m*dx^2 + b* dx + kx = F_nat*cos(wt)

with x equal to:

Asin(wt + phi)

A = F-nat/ mh where h = [tex]\sqrt{(\omega^{2}-\omega_{0}^{2})^{2} + b^{2}\omega^{2}/m^{2}}[/tex]

tan([tex]\phi[/tex]) = [tex]\frac{ (\omega^{2}-\omega_{0}^{2})}{\omega(b/m)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

when time = (pi/2 - phi)/w

i got:

F-nat/m * (k-mw^2) = f-nat * (w-nat^2 - w^2)

in my book in a different example you can solve for k and get mw^2 but then that side will be zero. But then the natural frequency has to equal the external forces frequency to make that side zero. I just need a hint. Sorry if this is all a mess. If you need anything clarify I will try my best to do it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not too entirely sure as to what you are looking to find. Could you please clarify a bit?

The solution is x=Asin(wt + phi) if A and phi have the appropriate values which depend on the parameters of the diving force, w and F_nat. You can determine these values by substituting x(t) and its derivatives into the differential equation.This equation has to be true for all values of t. Substitute t=-phi/w, (it is minus!) you get a relation between A, phi and w and F_nat. Substitute t=pi/2-phi/w, you get a second equation. You can solve this system of equations for A and phi in terms of w and F_nat.

ehild

Yeah i should of been more clearer, A and phi were already given. I have to prove that the equation is valid for any time t. I did it for t = -phi/w which I was able to show/prove that it does work. Now when i do t=(pi/2-phi/w) i get the solution above but I can't figure out how to get rid of k. The only solution I could think of was that it must be zero on both sides. I am going to edit the question to make it clearer.

yea so these are the equations i was given. When i make sin = 0 i can make it work but when cos = o i can't figure out how to get rid of k.

What do you mean on w-nat? Or is it w0?

As for k, you know that w02=k/m. If you mean f-nat the same as F-nat, the two sides of the equation are equivalent .ehild

Last edited:

1. What are forced oscillations?

Forced oscillations refer to the motion of a system that is subjected to a periodic external force. This external force causes the system to oscillate at a specific frequency, which may be different from the system's natural frequency.

2. How are forced oscillations described by a differential equation?

The motion of a system undergoing forced oscillations can be described by a second-order linear differential equation. This equation includes a term for the natural frequency of the system and a term for the external force that is driving the oscillations.

3. What is the process of proving a differential equation using substitution?

To prove a differential equation using substitution, you must first substitute a proposed solution into the equation. Then, you can solve for the unknown constants in the proposed solution by plugging in initial conditions. Finally, you can verify that the proposed solution satisfies the original differential equation.

4. Can forced oscillations be damped?

Yes, forced oscillations can be damped if there is a damping force acting on the system. This damping force can reduce the amplitude of the oscillations, causing them to eventually die out.

5. What are some real-world applications of forced oscillations?

Forced oscillations can be observed in many systems, such as pendulums, musical instruments, and electronic circuits. They are also used in engineering and design, such as in the construction of bridges and buildings to ensure their stability under external forces.