Forces: acceleration with a sun yacht

In summary, a sun yacht is a spacecraft with a large sail that is propelled by sunlight. The acceleration of the spacecraft, which has a mass of 700 kg, is 0.025 m/s^2 when it receives a push of 18 N. After 1 day, the spacecraft will travel 9331200 m and have a velocity of 2160 m/s.
wegman14
[SOLVED]Forces: acceleration with a sun yacht

Homework Statement

Sunjamming. A “sun yacht” is a spacecraft with a large sail that is pushed by sunlight. Although such a push is tiny in everyday circumstances, it can be large enough to send the spacecraft outward from the Sun on a cost-free but slow trip. Suppose that the spacecraft has a mass of 700 kg and receives a push of 18 N. (a) What is the magnitude of the resulting acceleration? If the craft starts from rest, (b) how far will it travel in 1 day and (c) how fast will it then be moving?

Homework Equations

F=Ma
V=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I think part a is correct, part b i am lost on, and part c just doesn't seem to make sense, it seems too fast
a) a= 18/700= .025 m/s^2

c) 700x.025=17.5 m/s?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did you get V=ma? Part a) is ok, But to find a velocity after one day you want to find a relation between acceleration time and velocity. For b) you want a relation between acceleration time and distance. They are just kinematic equations. Like v(t)=v(0)+a*t.

its still not making sense to me, probably because i don't have the kinematics equations

actually nvm i got it, thanks for the help

t= 86400 seconds
V(o)tx(1/2)at
9331200 m

V=0+(at)

2160m/s

1. What is a sun yacht?

A sun yacht is a type of spacecraft powered by the sun's radiation. It uses large solar sails to capture the energy from the sun's photons and propel itself through space.

2. How does a sun yacht accelerate?

A sun yacht accelerates by utilizing the radiation pressure from the sun's photons. As the photons collide with the solar sails, they transfer their momentum to the yacht, causing it to accelerate.

3. What factors affect the acceleration of a sun yacht?

The acceleration of a sun yacht is affected by several factors, including the size and shape of the solar sails, the distance from the sun, and the intensity of the sun's radiation.

4. Can a sun yacht accelerate indefinitely?

No, a sun yacht cannot accelerate indefinitely. As it gets further away from the sun, the intensity of the sun's radiation decreases, resulting in less force being exerted on the sails and eventually causing the yacht to reach a constant velocity.

5. Can a sun yacht travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. While a sun yacht can reach high speeds, it cannot exceed the speed of light.