Yacht going around a track - circular motion

In summary, the yacht moves around the track at a maximum speed of 3.7 m/s and the angle at which this speed is attained is 2π/3. The yacht does not make it all the way around the track before it comes to a halt.
Senim Silla

Homework Statement

A model yacht runs on a horizontal frictionless oval track as shown (viewed from above) in the figure. The curved parts of the track are semi-circles of radius ##R = 0.5 m##; the straight sides have length ##L = 1 m##. The mass of the yacht is ##m = 0.5 kg.##

A force of magnitude ##|F| = 4 N## is applied to the sails, using a fan as shown. The force is horizontal, directed at π/6 to the direction of the straight track. Both the magnitude and direction of the force remain constant throughout the game.

(a) After passing B the yacht enters the curved section of the track on the right-hand side of the diagram. Find the maximum speed reached by the yacht on this curved section, and the angle θ (defined as shown) at which this maximum speed is attained.

(b) Will the yacht travel all the way around the track and back to point A before it comes to a halt? If not, where will it stop?

e663b6.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I approached this problem, I thought about the centripetal force provided by the reaction force from the track on the yacht, pointing inwards to the center of one of the semi-circles. I thought that this central force would not be constant as the yacht goes around the bend, and that it would be:
$$F = 4\sin30\sinθ \hat i + 4\cos30\cosθ \hat j $$
The fact that it is not constant is what confuses me when trying to solve the question. I am not sure how to apply equations that I am familiar with, eg.
$$ m(\ddot{r}-r\ddot{θ}) = F(r) $$
$$ v = r\dot{θ}$$
While I calculated the speed of the yacht when it reaches B (3.7m/s), I am not sure how to follow through.

(The given answers are: The maximum speed will be when θ = 2π/3, and is vmax = 5.08 m/s. The yacht does not make it back to point A; it stops a third of the way round the left-hand curve).

Any help appreciated, thanks

Attachments

• e663b6.png
    e663b6.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Are you allowed to use the concepts of work and energy?

Likes Senim Silla
TSny said:
Are you allowed to use the concepts of work and energy?
Yes, but I am not sure how to apply them

How much work does the centripetal force of the [water in the] track on the boat do on a boat tracing out a circular arc?

Likes collinsmark
jbriggs444 said:
How much work does the centripetal force of the [water in the] track on the boat do on a boat tracing out a circular arc?
Zero, since the radius is constant? How would I use this information?

Likes jbriggs444
Identify all the forces that act on the yacht. A free body diagram is helpful. For each force, decide if it does any work on the yacht.

Likes jbriggs444 and Senim Silla
Yes, I understand, thank you

1. What is circular motion and how does it relate to a yacht going around a track?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path. In the case of a yacht going around a track, the circular path is the track itself. The yacht is constantly changing its direction, but it always remains a fixed distance from the center of the track.

2. How does the speed of the yacht affect its circular motion?

The speed of the yacht affects its circular motion in two ways. First, a higher speed means that the yacht will cover more distance in a given amount of time, which will result in a larger circumference of the circular path. Second, the speed also affects the centripetal force, which is required for circular motion. A higher speed requires a greater centripetal force to maintain the circular path.

3. What factors contribute to the stability of the yacht's circular motion?

The stability of the yacht's circular motion is influenced by several factors, including the speed of the yacht, the angle at which it is turning, the mass of the yacht, and the friction between the yacht and the track. A higher speed, a shallower turning angle, and a lower mass will all contribute to a more stable circular motion. Additionally, a smooth and level track surface with minimal friction will also help to maintain stability.

4. Can a yacht ever achieve perfect circular motion around a track?

No, a yacht can never achieve perfect circular motion around a track. This is because there will always be some external forces acting on the yacht, such as air resistance and friction, which will cause it to deviate from a perfect circular path. However, with careful control and adjustments, the yacht can come close to achieving a smooth and consistent circular motion.

5. How does the concept of inertia apply to a yacht going around a track?

Inertia, the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, plays a crucial role in a yacht's circular motion around a track. The yacht's inertia will cause it to continue moving in a straight line unless acted upon by an external force, such as the centripetal force provided by the track. The yacht's inertia also contributes to its stability, as it resists any changes in its direction while moving along the circular path.