Forces acting on a ring. (Help with direction)

In summary, the problem involves finding the magnitude and direction of an unknown force that is in equilibrium with three other coplanar forces. The given forces are 200 N at 30 degrees, 500 N at 80 degrees, and 300 N at 240 degrees. The solution so far has determined the magnitude of the unknown force to be 351 N, but the direction is still unknown. The correct direction is 71.7 degrees, which is the angle opposite the given angle. However, the book lists the answer as 71.7+180=351, which may be a typo. It is important to remember that the unknown force must be equal and opposite to the sum of the given forces in order to achieve equilibrium
RocketSurgery
1. Problem: The following coplanar forces pull on a ring: 200 N at 30 degrees, 500N at 80 degrees, 300N at 240 Degrees, and an unknown force. Find the magnitude and direction of the unknown force for the ring if the ring is in equilibrium.

2. Solution(So Far): Using the line 0 Degrees as the x-axis and 90 Degrees as the y-axis I got 351 N for the force (correct according to the book) however I am unable to find what angle it should be at. For the angle I got 71.7 Degrees [The book lists the answer as 71.7+180=351]. After seeing this answer I thought about it and I understand turning it 90 Degrees but why 180 degrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you find the force to be 351 N at 71.7 degrees? Did you add the three given forces to get that answer? If so, remember the unknown force must be equal and opposite to that sum in order to produce equilibrium. To find the direction opposite to an angle, add 180 degrees. (Not 90!)
RocketSurgery said:
[The book lists the answer as 71.7+180=351].
I presume this is a typo on your part?

No the book lists the answer as 351 N is that wrong? I understand why the angle needs to be opposite but is the force also wrong? If you mean the direction of the vector than that is what they asked for the angle for.

I know you need to add 180 to put it in equilibrium. I added 90 because it was 71.7 relative to the y-axis instead of relative to the x-axis so the angle with respect to the x-axis is 161.7 so I got confused (I should have drew my diagram with all angles w/respect to the x-axis).

Last edited:

1. What are the different types of forces that can act on a ring?

The three main types of forces that can act on a ring are tension, compression, and shear. Tension is a pulling force that stretches the ring, compression is a pushing force that compresses the ring, and shear is a force that causes one part of the ring to slide past another.

2. How do these forces affect the direction of the ring?

Tension and compression forces act in opposite directions, so they can cause the ring to expand or contract. Shear forces act perpendicular to the direction of the force, causing the ring to twist or deform in a different direction.

3. How do I determine the direction of these forces on a ring?

The direction of the forces on a ring can be determined by looking at the direction of the applied force and the orientation of the ring. For example, if a force is applied horizontally to a vertical ring, the tension force will act upwards and the compression force will act downwards.

4. What factors can affect the direction of these forces on a ring?

The direction of the forces on a ring can be affected by the shape and orientation of the ring, the magnitude and direction of the applied force, and the material properties of the ring. Additionally, any external factors such as friction or external forces can also influence the direction of the forces.

5. How can I calculate the forces acting on a ring in a given direction?

The forces acting on a ring in a given direction can be calculated using equations from Newton's laws of motion and Hooke's law. It involves considering the direction and magnitude of the applied force, the shape and orientation of the ring, and the material properties of the ring. It is recommended to consult a physics textbook or seek assistance from a professional to accurately calculate these forces.