Forces acting on a rolling wheel

In summary, when stationary, the wheel experiences a torque which is less than the static friction force. When a torque equal to the static friction is applied the wheel starts rolling. The static friction disappears and a dynamic friction comes to stage and this is usually smaller than the static friction. As long as the torque is equal to the resisting forces then the wheel rolls at a constant speed.
ozyris
Hi,

I have been trying to find some information on the forces acting on the wheel when the vehicle is moving but I am a little bit confused. I would be grateful if someone explain me the basic principles.

What I understood so far is;
(assuming front wheel drive)

* when the car is stationery; there is a torque applied to the wheel and this is less than the "static friction force".

* When a torque equal to the static friction is applied the wheel starts rolling. And at that moment static friction disappears and a "dynamic friction" comes to stage and this is usually smaller than the static friction. As long as the torque is equal to the resisting forces then the wheel rolls at a constant speed.

* And if a bigger force is applied the car accelerates at a rate proportional to the difference between the "torque" and "dynamic friction+air resistance".

The things I don't understand are;

- I still don't know if the drag force and rolling resistance and dynamic friction are all same thing?

- "hysteresis" is also another grey area for me. I understand that it is a force couple caused by the difference in pressure between the front and the rear contact lines of the front wheel. This is generating a moment resisting to the torque applied. Is this the force I called "dynamic friction" or an additional resistance? Because if it is the only resisting force between the wheel and the surface I find it very difficult to understand how this "couple" can provide the movement at a very low speed (say 1 second after the car starts moving). Because at a low speed the distance between the couple will be very very small?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
ozyris said:
- I still don't know if the drag force and rolling resistance and dynamic friction are all same thing?

Read the Theory-->Longitudinal acceleration-->Forces involved section at the bottom of this web page for detailed info on the forces involved.

ozyris said:
- "hysteresis" is also another grey area for me. I understand that it is a force couple caused by the difference in pressure between the front and the rear contact lines of the front wheel. This is generating a moment resisting to the torque applied. Is this the force I called "dynamic friction" or an additional resistance? Because if it is the only resisting force between the wheel and the surface I find it very difficult to understand how this "couple" can provide the movement at a very low speed (say 1 second after the car starts moving). Because at a low speed the distance between the couple will be very very small?

The resistance when you slide a block on a surface is friction, the one when you roll a wheel is rolling resistance and they are 2 different things.

There is static and dynamic friction, but we usually refer to only one type of rolling resistance (which would be equivalent to the dynamic friction). It's logical since there can't be "rolling" resistance without "rolling".

The rolling resistance is always due to the deformation of the wheel that causes a misalignment between the vertical weight acting on the axle and its reacting force acting on the ground. So contrary to the friction (which is an actual force), rolling resistance is not a new force that is created, it is a torque caused by a distance created between 2 already existing forces.

But just like friction, rolling resistance depends on the weight supported by the wheel (since it is the force that contributes to the torque called "rolling resistance"). All other characteristics are nicely included in a coefficient which depends on the type of wheel and ground; just like friction.

Rolling resistance does not create motion, it resists motion. In rolling, a horizontal friction force between the wheel and the ground creates motion.

Although it isn't part of the original question, I feel obliged to point out something else. Resistance in wheel bearings and brake pucks (if disc brakes are in use) also must be factored in. If you are considering the driving wheels, then it's somewhat arbitrary as to how far back along the drivetrain you want to go.

What is a rolling wheel?

A rolling wheel is a circular object that rotates along its axis while moving in a particular direction. It is often used for transportation or to reduce friction in machinery.

What are the forces acting on a rolling wheel?

The main forces acting on a rolling wheel are the normal force, frictional force, and rotational force. The normal force is exerted by the surface the wheel is rolling on, the frictional force is the resistance to motion caused by the contact between the wheel and the surface, and the rotational force is the force responsible for the wheel's rotation.

How do these forces affect the motion of a rolling wheel?

The normal force and the frictional force work together to keep the wheel rolling without slipping. The normal force helps to maintain the wheel's grip on the surface and the frictional force acts in the opposite direction of motion to slow it down. The rotational force is responsible for the wheel's rotation.

What factors can affect the forces acting on a rolling wheel?

The main factors that can affect the forces acting on a rolling wheel are the weight of the wheel, the surface it is rolling on, and the speed at which it is rolling. The weight of the wheel affects the normal force, the surface affects the frictional force, and the speed affects both the normal and frictional forces.

How does the shape of a rolling wheel affect the forces acting on it?

The shape of a rolling wheel can affect the distribution of forces acting on it. For example, a wider wheel will have a larger contact area with the surface, resulting in a larger normal force and a smaller frictional force. A narrower wheel, on the other hand, will have a smaller contact area and therefore a smaller normal force and a larger frictional force.