Forces between 3 charged particles

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the force on a 1 nC charge using the formula F = Kqq/r^2 and includes a step-by-step solution to the problem. It also addresses a mistake in the original attempt and clarifies the distance between the charges.
Badger

Homework Statement

knight_Figure_25_38.jpg

What is the force F_vec on the 1 nC charge?
Give answer as magnitude in Newtons.

Homework Equations

F = K qq/r^2
K = 1/4(pi)epsilon_knot; = 8991804694 N m^2/C

The Attempt at a Solution

A. Convert it all. cm to m. nC to C.
B. Vectors for Forces. The two x-component forces from the two 2 nC charges are equal and opposite (both repelling the 1 nC charge) so they cancel.
So F(x_net) = 0 Newtons
C. Similarly the y-component forces are the equal and in the same direction. So I merely found one and doubled it.
To obtain y, I used the ole: y = sqroot[ (.01m)^2 - (.01m/2)^2) = .00866m

F = Fnet_y = 2F_y = [2 * (8.99 Nm^2/C^) * (2E-9 C)(1E-9 C)] / (.00866m)^2
F = 4.80 * 10^-4 N

where did i go wrong? thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Badger said:
C. Similarly the y-component forces are the equal and in the same direction. So I merely found one and doubled it.
To obtain y, I used the ole: y = sqroot[ (.01m)^2 - (.01m/2)^2) = .00866m

F = 4.80 * 10^-4 N

where did i go wrong? thanks

means that two charges are separated by 0.00866 m, according to definition of this formula. But are they really separated by that distance?

You are saying here that move both 2 nC charges to the midpoint of the bottom line!

cool i got it now. thanks

1. What is the formula for the force between 3 charged particles?

The formula for the force between 3 charged particles is given by Coulomb's law, which states that the force (F) between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges (q1 and q2) and inversely proportional to the square of the distance (r) between them. This can be written as: F = k(q1q2)/r2, where k is a constant.

2. How does the distance between the particles affect the force?

The distance between the particles has an inverse relationship with the force. This means that as the distance between the particles increases, the force between them decreases. This is because the force is spread out over a larger area as the distance increases, resulting in a weaker force.

3. What happens to the force if the charges of the particles are increased or decreased?

If the charges of the particles are increased, the force between them will also increase. Conversely, if the charges are decreased, the force will decrease. This is because the force is directly proportional to the charges.

4. Can the force between three charged particles be attractive or repulsive?

The force between three charged particles can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges of the particles. If the charges are of the same sign (positive or negative), the force will be repulsive. If the charges are of opposite signs, the force will be attractive.

5. How is the direction of the force determined?

The direction of the force is determined by the charges of the particles. Like charges repel each other, so the force will act in the direction away from the other particles. Opposite charges attract each other, so the force will act in the direction towards the other particles.