Velocity of a charged particle as it approaches infinity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Nasir Jones
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


shit_zps1gi9n06p.png


Homework Equations


F = k(q1q1/r^2)
K = (mv^2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution


I got number 18 easy enough, number 19 seems simple but I'm not getting the right answer. I'm calculating Force exerted by each charge on the new charge using F = k(q1q1/r^2) for the three charges, adding the X and Y components together, setting the net force equal to (mv^2)/2 and solving for v. The answer I get is C, but the correct answer is A. Not sure why.
 
Attachments
  • shit_zps1gi9n06p.png
    shit_zps1gi9n06p.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 2,122
Physics news on Phys.org
Nasir Jones said:
setting the net force equal to (mv^2)/2
A force cannot be said to be equal to a quantity of energy.
 
The writers of multiple choice problems sometimes determine all the mistakes the problem solver might make and include these wrong answers as choices. You should take another approach to solving this problem. Any one of several will work.