Forces between two straight conductors

In summary, the conversation discusses the forces between two straight conductors with currents going through them. It is mentioned that the forces are attractive when the currents go the same way and repelling when they go opposite ways. The use of the right hand rule is also mentioned. The conversation then discusses the magnetic fields around the wires and how to determine the direction of the forces between the conductors. It is suggested to split the problem into two parts: considering the magnetic field of one wire first and then calculating the Lorentz force on the other wire. Sketches of the field patterns for each wire and the resultant field pattern for two wires with currents in the same and opposite directions are also mentioned.
LogarithmLuke
Hi, I am having trouble figuring out how the forces work between two straight conductors with currents going through them. I know that when the currents go the same way, the forces are attractive, and when the currents go opposite ways, the forces are repelling. I know one has to use the right hand rule, but i just can't figure out how to do it to get it right.

Could someone help clear this up?

Physics news on Phys.org
BvU said:
Hi LL,

Let me give it a try. I find this easiest if split up in two parts:
  1. Magnetic field of a current carrying wire (Ampere's law, Biot-Savart)
  2. Lorentz force on current in a wire (the other one...)

Im aware of what the magnetic fields around the wires look like, the trouble comes with finding the direction of the forces between to conductors.

LogarithmLuke said:
Im aware of what the magnetic fields around the wires look like, the trouble comes with finding the direction of the forces between to conductors.
That's exactly what I'm avoiding by first establishing a B field from wire 1 -- after which I can forget wire 1. Wire 2 then experiences a Lorentz force in that B field.
Hyperphysics in fact does it the same way (1 = left, 2= right wire)

can you sketch the field patterns for each wire. Can you sketch the resultant field pattern for 2 wires when the currents are in the same direction and in opposite directions. In the same direction the combined field is (visually) attractive.
In opposite directions the combined field is (visually) repulsive.

What is the force between two straight conductors?

The force between two straight conductors is known as the magnetic force and is caused by the interaction between the magnetic fields produced by the two conductors.

What factors affect the strength of the force between two straight conductors?

The strength of the force between two straight conductors is affected by the distance between the conductors, the current flowing through the conductors, and the permeability of the materials used in the conductors.

How can the direction of the force between two straight conductors be determined?

The direction of the force between two straight conductors can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the fingers of the right hand point in the direction of the current in one conductor and the thumb points in the direction of the force on the second conductor.

What is the difference between attractive and repulsive forces between two straight conductors?

Attractive forces between two straight conductors occur when the currents in the conductors flow in the same direction, while repulsive forces occur when the currents flow in opposite directions.

How is the force between two straight conductors used in everyday applications?

The force between two straight conductors is used in various everyday applications, such as electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in magnetic levitation systems and in the operation of particle accelerators.