Forces, I want to get the magnitude of the acceleration for the following problem ple

In summary, the conversation discusses two objects of mass 2kg each connected by a massless string. One object is moving vertically and the other is moving horizontally on a frictionless surface, being pulled by a 10 N force at a 60 degree angle. The solution involves finding the acceleration of each object and the tension in the string. One object moves down due to gravity, while the other has a force of 10cos60N acting on it. The solution is correct and involves solving for acceleration and then using that value to find the tension in the string.
madinsane
Question says.
Two objects of mass 2kg each are attached to each other by a massless string. One moves vertically and the other is moving on a frictionless surface horizontally and is being pulled the opposite direction by a force of 10 N at 60 degrees to the horizontal get the acceleration of each object and then get tension

My solution
Total fy for vertical object is
T-mg=ma
For the second I got forces in x direction as 10cos60 -T=ma
I then solved for a and got a negative answer then I substituted that value to get T. But should I have written a as positive? Is my solution correct

Physics news on Phys.org

you give {a} against the point.
(((One moves vertically))))moves down
your solution is correct

pymn_nzr said:
you give {a} against the point.
(((one moves vertically))))moves down
your solution is correct

thanks!

1. What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for calculating acceleration is a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is the acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time.

2. How do you determine the magnitude of acceleration?

To determine the magnitude of acceleration, you need to first find the final velocity and initial velocity of an object, as well as the time it takes for the object to change its velocity. Then, plug these values into the formula a = (vf - vi)/t to calculate the acceleration.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of acceleration?

The magnitude of acceleration is affected by the mass of the object, the force applied to the object, and the direction of the force. The greater the mass of the object, the smaller the acceleration will be for a given force. Similarly, the larger the force applied, the greater the acceleration will be. Lastly, the direction of the force can either increase or decrease the magnitude of acceleration, depending on whether it is in the same direction or opposite direction as the initial velocity of the object.

4. Can the magnitude of acceleration be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of acceleration can be negative. This means that the object is decelerating, or slowing down, instead of accelerating.

5. How does the magnitude of acceleration relate to the net force acting on an object?

The magnitude of acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on an object. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the acceleration will be. Conversely, if there is no net force acting on an object, the acceleration will be zero.