1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces, I want to get the magnitude of the acceleration for the following problem ple

1. Apr 3, 2012 #1
    Question says.
    Two objects of mass 2kg each are attached to each other by a massless string. One moves vertically and the other is moving on a frictionless surface horizontally and is being pulled the opposite direction by a force of 10 N at 60 degrees to the horizontal get the acceleration of each object and then get tension

My solution
    Total fy for vertical object is
    T-mg=ma
    For the second I got forces in x direction as 10cos60 -T=ma
    I then solved for a and got a negative answer then I substituted that value to get T. But should I have written a as positive? Is my solution correct

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2012 #2
    Re: Forces, I want to get the magnitude of the acceleration for the following problem

you give {a} against the point.
    (((One moves vertically))))moves down
    your solution is correct

4. Apr 3, 2012 #3
    Re: Forces, I want to get the magnitude of the acceleration for the following problem

thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook