Forces in equilibrium. Tension, ring, pulley and lots of string [With Picture]

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
WilliamA
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


To make it easier on the people who will try to help me, I've scanned the problem:
wfydg.jpg


We are interested in finding the following variables:
Angles a and c
The tension between A and B (TAB)


Homework Equations


The pulley is a "perfect pulley" no friction
The system is at equilibrium
We consider on side A that the string is attached to the wall, or a hook, it's fixed.
All three cords are attached to a ring situated at position B
There is nothing between A and C, but we know there is 3 meters of distance between the two


The Attempt at a Solution


Alright so I decided to make a Free Body Diagram taking the ring as the subject. It goes like that:

ChGdh.jpg


Considering the pulley, I guess we can assume that TBC is going to to be the same as FA.

After that I decided to decompose each of the three forces, and since everything is at equilibrium, I've come with two equations (again in picture, going to be easier):

IXZa6.jpg


At that point I am stuck because I don't see any more equations involving those three unknown variables(a,c, TAB) I can do. So I have 3 unknown variables but only two equations.

Could someone please help me out?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered using some of the trig laws? The law of cosines and the law of sines come to mind.