Forces: mass on a string circular motion

In summary: Yes, you feel an outward pull (the "centrifugal" force) due to the "equal and opposite" rule. You are applying an inward pull to the string and that feels to you like the same force outward. The force on the mass is inward, the force on you is outward.
climbon
Hi, if I have a mass on a string and I swing it around my head at a constant speed, what is the resultant force on the mass (I'm looking for a qualitative rather than quantitive answer)?

My inital thoughts were towards the centre of rotation, due to the tension on the string (and since the mass is accelerating towards centre). So there must be a resulting force towards the centre?

But also if I was to sit on the mass I would feel an outward force, so I'm not quite sure??

Thanks for any help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you feel an outward pull (the "centrifugal" force) due to the "equal and opposite" rule. You are applying an inward pull to the string and that feels to you like the same force outward. The force on the mass is inward, the force on you is outward.

climbon said:
Hi, if I have a mass on a string and I swing it around my head at a constant speed, what is the resultant force on the mass (I'm looking for a qualitative rather than quantitive answer)?

It depends on the reference frame you choose. The most common are (1) a fixed inertial frame observing the circular motion and (2) a non-inertial accelerating frame such as your mass at the end of the string. You've already recognized both.

My inital thoughts were towards the centre of rotation, due to the tension on the string (and since the mass is accelerating towards centre). So there must be a resulting force towards the centre?

Exactly. This is an example of observing the circular motion from an inertial frame (you). The mass accelerates inward towards a central point due to centripetal force. The balancing reactionary force outwards is centrifugal.

But also if I was to sit on the mass I would feel an outward force, so I'm not quite sure??

And that's the second example, when viewed from the non-inertial accelerating frame (the mass). Here the fictitious force you feel is centrifugal. The use of the term centrifugal is distinct from the first example, IOW different when used for the inertial frame #1 and the non-inertial frame #2.

I hope I got this mostly right :biggrin: and it helps!

1. How does mass affect circular motion on a string?

The mass of an object on a string affects its circular motion by changing its centripetal force. The greater the mass, the greater the centripetal force needed to maintain the circular motion.

2. What is the relationship between force and velocity in circular motion?

In circular motion, the force applied to an object is always directed towards the center of the circle. This force causes the object to continuously change direction, resulting in a constant velocity tangent to the circle.

3. How does the length of the string affect circular motion?

The length of the string affects circular motion by changing the radius of the circle. A longer string will result in a larger radius, requiring a greater centripetal force to maintain the circular motion.

4. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the apparent outward force experienced by an object in circular motion. Centrifugal force is a result of the object's inertia, rather than an actual force.

5. How do you calculate the centripetal force of an object in circular motion?

The centripetal force can be calculated using the equation Fc = (mv^2)/r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle. This equation can also be rearranged to solve for any of the variables.