Resultant force in vertical circular motion

In summary, the resultant force in a circular motion is always pointing towards the center if the motion is at a constant speed, but in non-uniform circular motion, the resultant force can point diagonally downwards in the leftmost and rightmost positions. This is because the component of the force perpendicular to the instantaneous direction of motion only changes the direction, not the speed. In this case, the component of the force parallel to the direction of motion changes the speed. This is different from uniform circular motion, where the resultant force always points towards the center at all times.
Goliatbagge
Suppose we have a vertical circular motion with gravity according to the image below.

1.png

In the leftmost and rightmost positions the resultant force is pointing diagonally down. Isn't the resultant force supposed to be pointing at the center at all times in a circular motion? What am I getting wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Goliatbagge said:
Suppose we have a vertical circular motion with gravity according to the image below.

View attachment 293265

In the leftmost and rightmost positions the resultant force is pointing diagonally down. Isn't the resultant force supposed to be pointing at the center at all times in a circular motion? What am I getting wrong?
There's a difference between circular motion in this case and uniform circular motion (i.e. at constant speed).

Likes vanhees71, Lnewqban and Goliatbagge
PeroK said:
There's a difference between circular motion in this case and uniform circular motion (i.e. at constant speed).
Ok, so let me get this straight. The resultant force in a circular motion is always pointing to the center if, and only if, the motion is at a constant speed. For example, if we are spinning a weight attached in a string vertically in a gravity field it will NOT have constant speed and therefore the rule does not apply.

Is this correct?

Goliatbagge said:
Ok, so let me get this straight. The resultant force in a circular motion is always pointing to the center if, and only if, the motion is at a constant speed. For example, if we are spinning a weight attached in a string vertically in a gravity field it will NOT have constant speed and therefore the rule does not apply.

Is this correct?
Yes. In general (this applies to any motion, in fact), the component of the force perpendicular to the instantaneous direction of motion changes only the direction (not the speed) and the component parallel to the direction of motion changes the speed.

Likes Lnewqban and Goliatbagge
coasterH=3.5r.gif

Likes Goliatbagge
Love this animation! Thank you!

Likes Lnewqban
Goliatbagge said:

Is this correct?
Yes, see also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acceleration#Tangential_and_centripetal_acceleration

1. What is the resultant force in vertical circular motion?

The resultant force in vertical circular motion is the net force acting on an object in circular motion. It is the vector sum of all the forces acting on the object, taking into account both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the resultant force calculated in vertical circular motion?

The resultant force can be calculated using the equation F = mv^2/r, where F is the resultant force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What is the direction of the resultant force in vertical circular motion?

The direction of the resultant force is always towards the center of the circular path. This is known as centripetal force and it is responsible for keeping the object in circular motion.

4. How does the resultant force change in vertical circular motion?

The resultant force changes as the velocity and/or radius of the circular path changes. As the velocity increases, the resultant force increases, and as the radius increases, the resultant force decreases.

5. What is the relationship between the resultant force and the object's speed in vertical circular motion?

The resultant force is directly proportional to the object's speed. This means that as the speed increases, the resultant force also increases. This is because a higher speed requires a greater centripetal force to keep the object in circular motion.