1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces-Newton's Laws and Vectors

1. Feb 15, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A pair of fuzzy dice is hanging by a string from your rearview mirror. While you are accelerating from a stoplight to 28 m/s in 6.0 s, what angle [tex]\vartheta[/tex] does the string make with the vertical?

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\sum[/tex]F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the acceleration to be about 4.667, but I honestly have no clue where to go from here. I've looked for other examples in the book that are similar but I haven't found any. The angle part is really throwing me off. I'm completely lost and I just want to be pushed in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2009 #2

jgens

Gold Member

Your value for the acceleration seems alright. Have you drawn a free-body diagram yet and carefully labeled all the forces acting on the dice? If you have, write it out here.

4. Feb 15, 2009 #3

djeitnstine

Gold Member

Try drawing a free body diagram

edit: jgens said it before me

5. Feb 15, 2009 #4
    Ok. Would it be something like this?

[tex]\uparrow[/tex] FT
    [ ][tex]\leftarrow[/tex] Acceleration?
    [tex]\downarrow[/tex] FW

6. Feb 15, 2009 #5

jgens

Gold Member

Not quite. Since, the dice are going to make an angle, Ft should not be positioned directly above mg; hence, your tension has two components, one in the x direction and one in the y. Additionally, your diagram should not show the acceleration as a force.

If it's easier you could just write out the results of your free-body diagram as:
    ∑Fx = ...
    ∑Fx = ...

7. Feb 15, 2009 #6
    FTcos[tex]\theta[/tex]+FTsin[tex]\theta[/tex]+FW.

Is that correct? Would i have to break it into two equations because of the x and y components?

8. Feb 15, 2009 #7

jgens

Gold Member

Yes, it should be broken into two x and y components.

9. Feb 15, 2009 #8
    [tex]\sum[/tex]Fx=FTsin[tex]\theta[/tex]
    [tex]\sum[/tex]Fy=FTcos[tex]\theta[/tex]+FW

Is that correct? I can substitute FW for mass times gravity right?

10. Feb 15, 2009 #9

jgens

Gold Member

Your equations look correct and Fw can be replaced with mg (just make sure you use g < 0). However, you can extrapolate more still. Are the dice accelerating in the vertical component and what does this suggest about ∑Fy? Eventually, the dice must be accelerating at the same rate as the car, what does this suggest about ∑Fx (think about Newton's second law)?

11. Feb 15, 2009 #10
    Oh! So,

[tex]\sum[/tex]Fy=0

because it is not accelerating, and

FTcos[tex]\theta[/tex]+mg=ma

Would gravity be negative?

12. Feb 15, 2009 #11

jgens

Gold Member

Well, it seems you've gotten your forces in the x and y directions mixed up. Your equations should read:

∑Fx = Ftsin(theta) = ma
    ∑Fy = Ftcos(theta) - abs(g)m = 0.

13. Feb 15, 2009 #12
    Oh yeah, sorry about that. But that still gives me three variables in both equations. I still only know that acceleration is 4.667m/s2 and gravity is 9.8m/s2.

14. Feb 15, 2009 #13

jgens

Gold Member

True, but you can easily reduce it. Divide ∑Fy by ∑Fx and solve, or using ∑Fy come up with an expression for Ft and substitute it into ∑Fx and solve. Either method should work.

15. Feb 15, 2009 #14
    Ok, I got answer, 25 degrees, but I just want to make sure my math is correct.

I substituted Ftinto [tex]\sum[/tex]Fx.

(mg/cos[tex]\theta[/tex])sin[tex]\theta[/tex]=ma

mg*tan[tex]\theta[/tex]=ma

tan[tex]\theta[/tex]=a/g

tan-1(a/g)=[tex]\theta[/tex]

16. Feb 15, 2009 #15

jgens

Gold Member

Your math it correct. I can't check your angle measure because I don't have a calculator or table of values at this point in time but I would presume it is correct. Good job!

17. Feb 15, 2009 #16
    Thanks so much for your help! I've been having trouble understanding force and just going through that problem with you helped me a lot. Thanks so much for your time. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook