Forces of a wrecking ball against a wall at rest.

In summary, the wrecking ball is applying a force of 140N on the wall. The force is perpendicular to the wall and the ball is hanging from a cable, so the only force acting on the ball is the weight of the ball.
physicalConst
Hello everyone, this is my first time posting to these forums, and my first time posting any online help regarding math. As you can imagine, this is a bit awkward and embarrassing for me. My textbook has no examples of the type of problem below and hours of googling has failed me. Hopefully someone would be kind enough to help me with my dilemma!

Question Description
A wrecking ball that has a mass of 200kg is resting against a wall. It hangs from a cable from the top of a crane that is touching the wall. The cable makes an angle of 9° with the wall. Ignore friction between the wall and ball.

Questions To Be Answered
  1. Apply Newtons second law, but do not substitute the letters for numbers.
  2. What is the magnitude and direction of the force of the wrecking ball on the wall?

As always I attempted to draw a free body diagram but became instantly stuck. From the picture I attached, you can see the two FBD I drew. In the first one I encountered a force which I could not label. I felt like it should be classified as weight, but that would give me two weight forces in differing directions.

http://db.tt/v3KiVQvS

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hello physicalConst! welcome to pf! :smile:

your top diagram (with four arrows), i don't understand at all :confused:

your bottom diagram is correct (with only 3 forces), except of course that weight is always vertical :wink:

Thanks for your response tiny-tim!

When I made the first diagram I was also confused, I couldn't see how it could be possibly right, but I though I missing something about the fundamentals of forces. So I drew up that second diagram, and although I knew that weight should be vertical, the whole pushing against the wall threw me. I think I over analyzed the whole problem.

hi physicalConst! :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)
physicalConst said:
I think I over analyzed the whole problem.

yeah! :biggrin:

don't do that … mechanics really is usually quite simple!

weight is always vertical, reaction forces on a frictionless surface are always normal, and tension is always along the cable or string :wink:

(and if you can't think of a reason for a force … it isn't there!)​

Hello and welcome to the forums! Don't worry, we are all here to learn and help each other out. Let's break down this problem step by step.

First, let's define the forces acting on the wrecking ball. We have the weight of the ball, which is a downward force due to gravity, and the tension force from the cable, which is pulling the ball towards the wall. The angle between the cable and the wall is given as 9°.

Now, let's apply Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. In this case, the ball is at rest, so its acceleration is 0. Therefore, the net force on the ball must also be 0.

Next, let's resolve the forces into their components. The weight force can be resolved into a horizontal component and a vertical component. The horizontal component is equal to the weight force multiplied by the sine of the angle between the cable and the wall (9°). The vertical component is equal to the weight force multiplied by the cosine of the angle.

The tension force can also be resolved into horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal component is equal to the tension force multiplied by the cosine of the angle, and the vertical component is equal to the tension force multiplied by the sine of the angle.

Since the ball is at rest, the net force in the horizontal direction must be 0. This means that the horizontal components of the weight and tension forces must be equal and opposite. Therefore, we can set up the following equation:

T cos 9° = mg sin 9°

Where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the ball, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2).

Solving for T, we get T = mg tan 9°. Plugging in the values, we get T = (200 kg)(9.8 m/s^2) tan 9° = 34.4 N.

Now, to find the magnitude and direction of the force of the wrecking ball on the wall, we can use the Pythagorean theorem. The magnitude of the force is equal to the square root of the sum of the squares of the horizontal and vertical components. We know the vertical component (34.4 N) and the horizontal component (mg cos 9°), so we can plug those values into the equation to get

1. What is a wrecking ball?

A wrecking ball is a massive, heavy, steel sphere that is commonly used in demolition projects to knock down buildings or other structures.

2. How does a wrecking ball exert force against a wall at rest?

A wrecking ball exerts force against a wall at rest through the use of gravity. When the wrecking ball is lifted to a certain height and then released, it gains potential energy. As it falls towards the wall, this potential energy is converted into kinetic energy, creating a force upon impact.

3. What factors affect the force of a wrecking ball against a wall at rest?

The force of a wrecking ball against a wall at rest is affected by several factors, including the weight and speed of the ball, the height from which it is dropped, and the material and structure of the wall itself.

4. Can a wrecking ball break through any type of wall?

No, a wrecking ball may not be able to break through certain types of walls, especially if they are made of reinforced concrete or steel. In some cases, specialized equipment or techniques may be needed for demolition.

5. Are there any safety precautions that need to be taken when using a wrecking ball?

Yes, safety precautions must be taken when using a wrecking ball to ensure the safety of workers and bystanders. This may include wearing protective gear, securing the area, and following proper demolition procedures.