Forces of attraction inside atom

In summary, the question asks whether a nucleus containing 2 protons will pull on one electron more strongly if there is only one electron as opposed to two. The answer depends on whether we consider the electric field from the electrons or not. Without considering the electric field from the electrons, the answer is no. If we do consider the electric field from the electrons, the answer would change.
gladius999
Hello my fellow physic-doers,

If say a nucleus containing 2 protons pulls on 2 electrons. Will the electron be pulled closer if the number of protons is constant but there is only one electron assuming there was no repulsion between 2 electrons in the first case? Does the electromagnetic strentgh of a field decrease if it acts on more charges?

Thanks for any responses

Physics news on Phys.org
gladius999 said:
Hello my fellow physic-doers,

If say a nucleus containing 2 protons pulls on 2 electrons. Will the electron be pulled closer if the number of protons is constant but there is only one electron assuming there was no repulsion between 2 electrons in the first case? Does the electromagnetic strentgh of a field decrease if it acts on more charges?

Thanks for any responses

Nope.

does the electric field get affected at all. i.e get smaller/distorted?

Well since we seem to be neglecting the electric field contributions from the electrons in the first place, the answer would be no. If you do want to consider the electrons, obviously this would change if there was only one as opposed to two.

i meant that the electrons both have a field except that the fields of the electrons do not affect each other

What are the forces of attraction inside an atom?

The forces of attraction inside an atom are the electromagnetic force, the strong nuclear force, and the weak nuclear force.

What is the role of the electromagnetic force in atoms?

The electromagnetic force is responsible for the attraction between positively charged protons and negatively charged electrons, which keeps the atom together.

How does the strong nuclear force contribute to the stability of atoms?

The strong nuclear force is responsible for holding the positively charged protons together in the nucleus, overcoming the repulsive forces between them and maintaining the stability of the atom.

What is the significance of the weak nuclear force in atoms?

The weak nuclear force plays a crucial role in radioactive decay, where it is responsible for the transformation of a neutron into a proton and an electron, or vice versa.

Can these forces be manipulated or controlled?

Currently, these forces cannot be manipulated or controlled, but scientists are constantly researching and studying them to better understand their nature and potential applications.