1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Forces surrounding Car on a Bridge

1. Jan 11, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An W = 7500 N automobile is stalled one-quarter of the way across a bridge (see Fig. P77). Compute the additional reaction forces at supports A and B due to the presence of the car. Take the length of the bridge to be AB.

8-P65alt.gif

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I was told that if you pick one side of the bridge as your rotation point, then either A or B is already a length of 0. But I'm not sure how to proceed from here, any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Call the reaction at A, RA and at B, RB.

So if you take moments about A, then the moment of RA about A is 0 right?

So what is the moment produced by RB about the point A and what is the moment produced by W about A?

4. Jan 11, 2010 #3
    I didn't know what a moment was so I read the explanation but doesn't that mean that the force around point B would just be a normal force of 7500 because the object is static? But that isn't the right answer.

5. Jan 11, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

a moment is the turning effect produced by a force which acts perpendicular to a body.

So the moment of RB about A, would be the force multiplied by its perpendicular distance from A.

6. Jan 11, 2010 #5
    Oh ok! That makes sense, however the bridge length is only given to be AB. So that would mean, if A was the rotation point, that A=0 and therefore B=7500AB right?

7. Jan 12, 2010 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

No the force is RB and the distance is AB , so the moment produce is (AB)*RB Right?

Can you find the moment produced by the 7500N force?

8. Jan 12, 2010 #7
    Would that be the rotational acceleration around point A?

9. Jan 13, 2010 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Taking moments about A.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook