Finding Forces in a 2D Bridge: Determining Pressure and Tension

In summary, the problem involves determining which sticks in a 2D bridge are under pressure and tension, as well as the size of these forces. The sticks can be determined by using the Pythagorean theorem, and it is likely that only the line BC is under pressure while the others are under tension. A free body diagram can be used to visualize the distribution of gravitational force among the sticks, with the assumption that the mirrored forces are identical. The forces acting on the sticks must be in opposite directions in order for the bridge to be stable. To solve for all the forces, it is necessary to also assume that the forces from the supports at the ends of the bridge are vertical.
Numeriprimi

Homework Statement

We have this bridge, which is 2D - as shown picture.
How I determine which sticks are subjected to pressure and which tension? How big are these forces? Sticks are intangible, mass of car is M. From the picture, we can determine the length of the sticks.
Picture: http://fykos.cz/rocnik26/obrazky/s4u5_zadani.png

Note: As we proceed, if sticks length density will be p?

2. The attempt at a solution
If one square has length one meter, then:
Line AB, AE, BE, CD, CE, DE I determine by Pythagorean theorem. I think the pressure is only in line BC. In others line is tension.
BC: F= g * m... This is the result for BC?

With the tension, however, I never calculate. I have no idea what to do, although I was looking for, I have not found good formula. Could you please advise me?

Note:
If they have a rod length density, then their weight will be m = p * l
However, that again is all I can think...

Thanks very much and sorry for my bad English.

Physics news on Phys.org
Numeriprimi said:

Homework Statement

We have this bridge, which is 2D - as shown picture.
How I determine which sticks are subjected to pressure and which tension?

Hello, did You try to draw a free body diagram?

Free body diagram... Hmm, what it is in Czech? Do you know something like this? http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/211_fall2004.web.dir/Jeff_Levison/freebody_diagram.jpg

Yes, I drew it...
Body acting by gravitational force vertically downwards.
Gravitational force is distributed between shoulders AB, CD. From these shoulders are then divided into ropes AE, BE, CE, DE.

Think I it right?
However, then what?

hello,

I draw it my self also, please take a look.

I suppose that the car is in the middle of the bridge, and that the "mirrored" forces are identical.

Attachments

• fbd - car.jpg
    fbd - car.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 453
Interesting, but why? Never occurred to me that these forces are opposite.
And applies F_2 = F_1 for size also?
And then how would the size count?
According to the original composition of forces mg?

mishek said:
I draw it my self also, please take a look.

I suppose that the car is in the middle of the bridge, and that the "mirrored" forces are identical.
Small mistake... CE should be F1, not F2.
Interesting, but why? Never occurred to me that these forces are opposite.
For E to be stable, some forces must act upward there (compression) and some downward (tension). If AE is under tension then AB will rotate clockwise about B, so AE is under compression. Likewise DE, so BE and CE must be under tension.
To solve for all the forces, it will be necessary to assume that the forces from the supports at the ends of the bridge are vertical.

Related to Finding Forces in a 2D Bridge: Determining Pressure and Tension

1. What is the purpose of finding forces in a 2D bridge?

The purpose of finding forces in a 2D bridge is to determine the internal forces (such as pressure and tension) acting on different parts of the bridge structure. This information is crucial in ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the bridge.

2. How do scientists determine pressure in a 2D bridge?

Scientists use mathematical equations and measurements to determine pressure in a 2D bridge. This involves calculating the force per unit area acting on the bridge due to external loads and internal forces.

3. What factors affect tension in a 2D bridge?

There are several factors that can affect tension in a 2D bridge, including the type and magnitude of external loads, the materials used in the bridge, and the design and geometry of the bridge structure.

4. What tools and techniques are used in finding forces in a 2D bridge?

Scientists use a combination of mathematical calculations, computer simulations, and physical testing to determine forces in a 2D bridge. This may involve using specialized equipment such as strain gauges, load cells, and finite element analysis software.

5. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of their findings in determining forces in a 2D bridge?

To ensure accuracy, scientists follow established engineering principles and standards, conduct multiple tests and simulations, and compare their results with real-world data. They also consider potential sources of error and make adjustments as needed to improve the accuracy of their findings.