Forces with friction problem, two block on each other

In summary, the problem is asking to analyze the forces acting on two blocks connected by a string on a frictionless table, with a coefficient of friction of 0.45. The tension forces on each block are equal and opposite, and the horizontal forces on each block must balance. The applied force points to the right, while the frictional force on block 1 points to the left and the tension force points to the right. The frictional force on block 2 points to the right, and the tension force points to the left. The net force in the x-direction for block 1 is equal to the sum of the applied force, the frictional force, and the tension force. The net force in the y-direction for both
Asphyxiated

Homework Statement

The original problem with statement is http://images3a.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp733%3B9%3Enu%3D52%3A%3A%3E379%3E256%3EWSNRCG%3D335%3A728%3A%3B4347nu0mrj".

Homework Equations

Newton's Laws 1-3

The Attempt at a Solution

Note that the table is frictionless, the only friction is between the two boxes

So first:

[tex] \mu = .45 [/tex]

and the T on M1 is

[tex] T_{m_{1}}=F_{a} [/tex]

and T on M2 is

[tex] T_{m_{2}}=-F_{a} [/tex]

and

[tex] F_{n_{1}}=m_{1}g [/tex]

[tex] F_{n_{2}}=m_{1}g+m_{2}g [/tex]

So the friction force on M1 from M2 should be:

[tex] F_{ \mu_{1}} = \mu F_{n_{1}} [/tex]

and the friction on M2 from M1 should be:

[tex] F_{ \mu_{2}}=\mu F_{n_{1}} [/tex]

So i am kind of confused as to how I should use the T forces... here is what I did:

[tex] F_{net_{x}} = F_{a}+F_{\mu_{1}-T-F_{\mu_{2}}=0 [/tex]

[tex] F_{net_{y}}=F_{n_{1}}+F_{n_{2}}-m_{1}g-m_{2}g=0 [/tex]

is that right? I am not sure how to set up T because for m1 t is opposite the friction force and for m2 T is opposite the Fa force... should I set up a relationship that way to do this correctly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that Fa ≠ T. After all, the horizontal forces on block 1 must balance, and according to the FBD that YOU drew for it (which looks correct), there are three such forces. Fa is to the right and BOTH T and the frictional force from block 2 are pointing to the left.

Yes,horizontal forces on block 1 should balance.If T is the tension in the string acting to pull the body to left then the frictional force between the bodies will act to the right to counter the tension.So T=f.
Now coming to the second block it has got F acting to the right and tension acting to the left.Since the frictional force is acting to right on block 1,it acts to left on block 2.To sum up the whole thing,your F acts to counter both T(=f) and f.So F equals 2f.Any way i am not sure of this.:biggrin:

ajith.mk91 said:
Yes,horizontal forces on block 1 should balance.If T is the tension in the string acting to pull the body to left then the frictional force between the bodies will act to the right to counter the tension.So T=f.

Yeah, but you're forgetting the applied force (also points to the right). EDIT: and you also haven't specified which frictional force you're referring to. The one that acts on block 1 points to the left, in the SAME direction as the tension. I explicitly said that there were THREE horizontal forces acting on block 1 in my previous post. Let's let the OP take stock of things...

Block 1 is the top one and block 2 is bottom one right?Force acting on the bottom block cannot directly act on the top one.The only way for it is to use friction.Now if the friction tries to stop the relative motion it should act to right on the top block since it tends to move to left.

do not write vertical and horizontal equations for whole system that is unnecessary
just balance vertical and horizontal forces on each block.
Remember the tension in the string is uniform

ajith.mk91 said:
Block 1 is the top one and block 2 is bottom one right?Force acting on the bottom block cannot directly act on the top one.The only way for it is to use friction.Now if the friction tries to stop the relative motion it should act to right on the top block since it tends to move to left.

Hey -- I was referring to the bottom block as "block 1" without double-checking the labeling on the picture. Sorry.

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion of two surfaces that are in contact with each other. It is caused by the irregularities on the surface of objects and is dependent on the type of materials and the force pressing the surfaces together.

2. How does friction affect objects?

Friction can cause objects to slow down or come to a complete stop, as it opposes the direction of motion. It can also cause wear and tear on surfaces, leading to erosion and heating of the objects.

3. How does friction impact objects stacked on top of each other?

When two objects are stacked on top of each other, friction between them prevents the top object from sliding off the bottom one. This allows for objects to be stacked and remain stable.

4. What factors affect the amount of friction between two objects?

The amount of friction between two objects is affected by the type of materials, the weight of the objects, and the force pushing them together. Rougher surfaces and heavier weights typically result in more friction.

5. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the two surfaces. It can also be reduced by making the surfaces smoother or by reducing the force pressing the surfaces together.