Centre of mass Momentum problem-Two blocks

In summary, a problem is presented involving a symmetric block of mass M1 with a groove of hemisphere shape of radius R resting on a smooth horizontal surface with a wall on its left side. A small block of mass m2 slides without friction from an initial position to a second position. The goal is to find the maximum velocity of block M1 and describe the motion of both blocks. After analyzing the problem, it is determined that the maximum velocity of M1 occurs when m2 slides back down to its initial position, and this velocity can be found using conservation of energy and momentum equations. The role of the wall in the problem is to prevent momentum conservation between the initial and second positions, making it necessary to consider the momentum after the second position
Tanya Sharma

Homework Statement

A symmetric block of mass M1 with a groove of hemisphere shape of radius R rests on a smooth horizontal surface in contact with the wall as shown in the figure. A small block of mass m2 slides without friction from the initial position .Find the maximum velocity of the block M1.Describe the motion of both the blocks M1 and m2. ( M1=100 Kg m2=10kg R=5m g=10m/s2).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Initially m2 is is at 1 and slides down to 2 .Since M1 has a wall towards its left side ,the wall exerts a force on M1 till m2 reaches 2 because m2 pushes against M1.So momentum of two block system can not conserved till m2 reaches 2.Afterwards , momentum can be conserved taking initial momentum when m2 is at 2.

Velocity of m2 at 2 can b found using conservation of energy between points 1 and 2.

Loss of potential energy = Gain in Kinetic energy

velocity of m2 at 2 = 10m/s

Now I have a doubt here when block m2 moves from 2 to 3...If we consider only m2 then kinetic energy of m2 at 2 should completely convert in Potential energy at 3 which gives the height to which the block rises i.e R. This means block m2 moves back and forth between 1 and 3.

But if conservation of momentum is applied then as block m2 moves from 2 to 3 the block M1 also moves ie when m2 reaches 3 then M1 is moving and m2 is at rest w.r.t M1

Applying conservation of energy

Loss in Kinetic energy of m2 =Gain in potential energy of m2 + gain in kinetic energy of (M1+m2).

This gives height to which block m2 rises less than R .

Why two different results...

Where am I getting it wrong?

Attachments

• twoblocks.jpg
    twoblocks.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 794
Physics news on Phys.org
try solving the problem without the wall in place.

Hello.
Tanya Sharma said:
Now I have a doubt here when block m2 moves from 2 to 3...If we consider only m2 then kinetic energy of m2 at 2 should completely convert in Potential energy at 3 which gives the height to which the block rises i.e R. This means block m2 moves back and forth between 1 and 3.

But, as you later noted, m1 will be moving when m2 reaches max height after passing 2. So, not all of the kinetic energy of m2 will be converted into potential energy when m2 reaches max height. Does m2 reach 3?

See if you can conceptually see where m2 will be when m1 has its max speed. Hint: As m2 is sliding up after passing 2, what direction does it push on m1? As m2 slides back down toward 2, what direction does it push on m1? (Consider horizontal component of force.)

Last edited:
TSny said:
But, as you later noted, m1 will be moving when m2 reaches max height after passing 2. So, not all of the kinetic energy of m2 will be converted into potential energy when m2 reaches max height. Does m2 reach 3?

No...Not all of kinetic energy is converted in potential energy .Some of it will be converted in kinetic energy gained by both m1 and m2.

That means m2 will not reach 3.The height reached will be less than R.

TSny said:
See if you can conceptually see where m2 will be when m1 has its max speed. Hint: As m2 is sliding up after passing 2, what direction does it push on m1? As m2 slides back down toward 2, what direction does it push on m1? (Consider horizontal component of force.)

It seems that the max speed of m1 will be when m2 slides back down to 2.

Am I correct in my assessment ?

Tanya Sharma said:
It seems that the max speed of m1 will be when m2 slides back down to 2. Am I correct in my assessment ?
Yes, while m2 is between 2 and 3 there's a horizontal component of force on m1 that accelerates it. Once m2 returns back past 2, it starts slowing down m1.

Okay...then conserving energy between 2 sliding up and 2 sliding down

[itex]\frac{1}{2}m(v_2)^2=\frac{1}{2}m(V_{max}-v_{2,ret})^2+\frac{1}{2}M(V_{max})^2[/itex]

and conservation of momentum between points 2 up and 2 down gives

[itex]mv_2=m(V_{max}-v_{2,ret})+MV_{max}[/itex]

Am i right?

Explain your notations, please.

ehild

These are the notations

m=mass of smaller block

M=mass of bigger block

[itex]v_2[/itex] = velocity of smaller block at position 2 while going up

[itex]V_{max}[/itex]= velocity of bigger block while smaller block is sliding back down at 2

I feel the maximum velocity bigger block can have is at 2 hence [itex]V_{max}[/itex]

[itex]v_{2,ret}[/itex]=velocity of smaller block while sliding back down at 2

So you mean that v2 is the velocity of the small block at point 2 when it arrived from point 1, and v2,ret is its velocity at the same deepest point when arrived from the opposite direction. Are they meant with respect to the big block or with respect to the ground?

Last edited:
ehild said:
So you mean that v2 is the velocity of the small block at point 2 when it arrived from point 1, and v2,ret is its velocity at the same deepest point when arrived from the opposite direction.

Yes

ehild said:
Are they meant with respect to the big block or with respect to the ground?

w.r.t the bigger block

OK. It looks plausible that the big block has the greatest velocity when the small one is in position 2 and moving backwards. Accepting it, your equations are correct (v2ret meaning the magnitude of the velocity with respect to the big block). Determine Vmax.

ehild

I am getting two values of Vmax . Vmax = 0 , 20/11 . Why one of the values is zero ? Is it the value of bigger block when the smaller block is passing through 2 for the first time ?

ehild...Can you explain what is the role of the wall in this problem ? Is the force of the wall responsible that we cannot conserve momentum between points 1 and 2 and only after 2 the momentum is conserved as the wall force stops acting after 2?

Am I write in my assessment that bigger block will move only after block 2 moves past 2?

That is very good, Tania. The zero velocity is valid when the small block comes from position 1. The wall can exert force only to the right. So the big block will not move till the small one pushes it towards the wall, as the two opposite forces cancel. As soon as the small block passes point 2, it pushes the big block forward. The wall can not pull it back, so the big block loses contact with the wall, and without external horizontal force, the horizontal component of momentum is conserved.

ehild

ehild...Thank you very much

Last edited:
This might help. Looking at the attachment, would there be any difference in the final velocities of the 3 elastic collisions shown? [Edit: Sorry, I switched the notation for m1 and m2 so I have m1 as the small block.]

Attachments

• Elastic Collision.jpg
    Elastic Collision.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 575
TSny said:
This might help. Looking at the attachment, would there be any difference in the final velocities of the 3 elastic collisions shown?

No...In all the three cases the final velocities will be the same

Tsny...Thank you very much

What is the definition of centre of mass?

The centre of mass is the point at which the entire mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point where the object would balance if suspended at that point.

What is the formula for calculating centre of mass?

The formula for calculating the centre of mass is:
xcm = (m1x1 + m2x2 + ... + mnxn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)
ycm = (m1y1 + m2y2 + ... + mnyn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)
where mn is the mass of the nth block and xn and yn are the x and y coordinates of the nth block.

How do I solve a centre of mass momentum problem with two blocks?

To solve a centre of mass momentum problem with two blocks, you will need to apply the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. Set up equations for the initial and final momentums of the system and solve for the unknown variables. You can then use the formula for centre of mass to find the position of the centre of mass.

What does it mean if the centre of mass of a system is moving?

If the centre of mass of a system is moving, it means that there is an overall momentum in the system. This could be due to an external force acting on the system or a non-uniform distribution of mass within the system.

What factors can affect the centre of mass of a system?

The centre of mass of a system can be affected by the mass and distribution of the objects within the system, as well as any external forces acting on the system. Changes in the position or velocity of any of the objects can also affect the centre of mass.