Confusing forces, and friction problem

In summary, the problem involves a block with mass m on an inclined plane of 30 degrees above the horizontal, placed at a height of 2.5 m and sliding down 5m. The coefficient of friction is 0.4 and the question is asking for the final velocity. The solution involves using the equations F=ma and Ff=u*Fn and applying conservation of energy to equate gravitational potential energy to kinetic energy and energy in overcoming friction.
johswill

Homework Statement

My friend posed this problem to me about a week ago, and I haven't been able to figure it out, it is: So, we've got a block with mass m on an inclined plane of 30 degrees above the horizontal. It is placed at a height of 2.5 m. The coefficient of friction is 0.4. It slides down 5m. What is the final velocity?

Homework Equations

F=ma, Ff=u*Fn

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been able to get everything right, I'm just not sure how to do if it there is not a time component added into the problem, and my friend said you didn't need time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using conservation of energy. All of the gravitational potential energy goes into kinetic energy and energy in overcoming friction.

FAQ: Confusing forces, and friction problem

1. What is the difference between confusing forces and friction?

Confusing forces refer to any external forces that act on an object in motion, causing it to change its velocity or direction. These forces can include gravity, air resistance, and applied forces. Friction, on the other hand, is a type of confusing force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact with each other, causing resistance and slowing down the motion of an object.

2. How does friction affect the motion of an object?

Friction can either increase or decrease the motion of an object, depending on the direction and magnitude of the applied force. For example, when a car is driving on a road, the friction between the tires and the road surface helps to propel the car forward. However, if the car needs to brake, the friction between the tires and the road will cause the car to slow down.

3. What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction between two surfaces is affected by several factors including the roughness of the surfaces, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the type of materials the surfaces are made of. For example, a rough surface will produce more friction than a smooth surface, and increasing the force pressing the surfaces together will increase the friction.

4. How does friction impact everyday life?

Friction plays a significant role in our everyday lives. It is what allows us to walk, drive, and even write. Without friction, we would not be able to grip objects or move around easily. However, friction can also be a hindrance, for example, when trying to open a stuck jar lid or when trying to slide a heavy piece of furniture across a carpeted floor.

5. How can we reduce friction between two surfaces?

There are several ways to reduce friction between two surfaces. One method is to apply a lubricant, such as oil or grease, to the surfaces to create a slippery layer that reduces friction. Another way is to use rolling instead of sliding, as rolling creates less friction than sliding. Additionally, using smoother surfaces or adding wheels or ball bearings can also help reduce friction.