Formal Complaint Filed Over Senator’s Vietnam Awards, Post-Service Activities

• News
  • Thread starter kat
  • Start date
In summary: And if so, was he aware of their intentions? In summary, Judicial Watch alleges that John Kerry committed war crimes and was involved with the assassination of US Senators while serving in Vietnam. The organization requests an investigation into these allegations.
selfAdjoint said:
Back on the thread topic, see this article in today's NYT. Connections of the swift boat funders to Bush and Rove, and inconsistencies and lies of the swift boat partisans are richly documented.
From the article:
How the group came into existence is a story of how veterans with longstanding anger about Mr. Kerry's antiwar statements in the early 1970's allied themselves with Texas Republicans.
I can certainly understand their hostility. IMO, Kerry rolled the dice here and lost: he's trying to play both sides on this one (as he often does) and he should have seen the backlash coming. He should not have made this issue the centerpiece of his campaign.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
They have every right to present their opinion of Kerry's anti-war activities.

Instead, they have made false accusations on another subject entirely.

This is as cheap a trick as Vance's in the article Ivan posted (edit: the US Global Empire post).

In fact, the more I read about things like this, the more I'm reminded of Richard Nixon's 'dirty tricks' teams in his campaigns.

BobG said:
In fact, the more I read about things like this, the more I'm reminded of Richard Nixon's 'dirty tricks' teams in his campaigns.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I heard last night about the "Swift Boat" funding by rich Republicans. This is typical of nearly anything close to the Bush dynasty.

John Kerry by his own admission considered his part in burning villages an "atrocity." How can we now try to justify them as anything short of that? If the village was uninhabited, why would he call it an atrocity? He had to have known the implication of the phrase "burning a village" when he spoke it. If someone says "I have to admit an atrocity, I shot a man," it is ridiculous to think that later he could change his story to "... with a bb gun."

Here is what most likely happened, if I was a betting man:

John Kerry, in his attempt to discredit our country, crafted some stories about atrocities that he supposedly saw committed by fellow troops. He admitted to to his own atrocities to try and lend credence to his stories. (How could anyone think that he would make up something like that?) At the time, he didn't think that he would later be judged on those actions.

Kerry has a lot of problems with the truth. In my opinion, he simply was willing to say anything --- and to admit to anything --- to stop the war, just like Hanoi Jane was willing to stoop to the lowest levels to do the same.

This is war.

In an effort to protect John Kerry's image, Democrats have turned into George S. Patton.

JohnDubYa said:
One of the reasons people wanted the war to end centered around atrocities committed by our troops that Kerry apparently took part in. And why did he do it? What prevented him from simply refusing? And how does your answer to this question reflect his bravery?

You're goading, John, just to see Democrats squirm.

Contrary to today's popular culture, supreme individualism isn't what makes a culture run - or a company or an office. Even if the group is heading in a direction you don't care for, you do your best to make it work (and I have to admit to sometimes feeling some personal ire knowing I worked twice as hard to make a dumb decision work as I would have to make a smart decision work only to have the guy who made the decision say the success proved he was right.)

I think that's especially true in the military. Even though I don't think we should have invaded Iraq, if I knew we'd do it less than 6 months after I retired, I would have stayed in a couple more years. It's not agreeing to everything you have to do. It's doing your best to make sure things work out in the end.

JohnDubYa said:
Here is what most likely happened, if I was a betting man:

John Kerry, in his attempt to discredit our country, crafted some stories about atrocities that he supposedly saw committed by fellow troops. He admitted to to his own atrocities to try and lend credence to his stories. (How could anyone think that he would make up something like that?) At the time, he didn't think that he would later be judged on those actions.

Kerry has a lot of problems with the truth. In my opinion, he simply was willing to say anything --- and to admit to anything --- to stop the war, just like Hanoi Jane was willing to stoop to the lowest levels to do the same.

At least you're attacking him for something he did do, and you did it yourself, at that. That takes a little more honesty and courage than finding an 'independent' group to make the dirty attacks Bush doesn't have the courage to make himself.

Even if the group is heading in a direction you don't care for, you do your best to make it work.

And that would include taking part in atrocities. Hmmm?

Do you defend the perpetrators in the My Lai attack in the same manner?

Last edited:
That takes a little more honesty and courage than finding an 'independent' group to make the dirty attacks Bush doesn't have the courage to make himself.

So Bush is criticized for not taking part in the attacks.

JohnDubYa said:
And that would include taking part in atrocities. Hmmm?

Do you defend the perpetrators in the My Lai attack in the same manner?

No, I felt your bet was pretty close to being on target towards one of Kerry's low points. Not in his opposing the war, which he had every right to do, but in some of the ways he opposed the war.

Nor, would I have felt it unfair of the swift boat vets or the Bush supporters who funded the ads if they had only attacked Kerry's anti-war activities.

The ad was a low blow, committed now - not in the past. It's a throwback to some of the dirtier campaign tactics from years ago.

Nor, would I have felt it unfair of the swift boat vets or the Bush supporters who funded the ads if they had only attacked Kerry's anti-war activities.

The swift boat vets are not taking issue with Kerry on the atrocity issue, so there is no reason for them to raise it.

The ad was a low blow, committed now - not in the past. It's a throwback to some of the dirtier campaign tactics from years ago.

Are you assuming that they are lying?

If they are telling the truth, what would you propose they do? Stay quiet? Do you apply the same reasoning to those that questin Bush's active service record?

By the way, I am not saying the swift boat vets' ads are acceptable. I haven't even seen them. But I see a double standard in the way some are treating Bush and Kerry's military service careers. One gets accused of going AWOL, the other for hyping his military record.

JohnDubYa said:
By the way, I am not saying the swift boat vets' ads are acceptable. I haven't even seen them. But I see a double standard in the way some are treating Bush and Kerry's military service careers. One gets accused of going AWOL, the other for hyping his military record.

Kerry's personal response to the Swift boat affair, "If Bush wants to compare service records, Bring it On!"

selfAdjoint said:
Kerry's personal response to the Swift boat affair, "If Bush wants to compare service records, Bring it On!"
I don't think that Bush has been comparing service records, in fact I believe he's commended Kerry on his Vietnam service. If Bush were to respond to Kerry's attacks...I think his response should be simply "Senator Kerry just sign the Pentagon's Standard Form 180, I did!"

"If Bush wants to compare service records, Bring it On!"

Strong talk from someone who objects to those who criticize his military record.

What exactly is Form 180, and why hasn't Kerry signed it (if that is indeed the case)?

Haha, they're so watching judicial stuff...what exactly does Kerry's military service have to do with courts, again?

And why is the extent of his wounds such an issue, and why do people believe the phonies in the "Swift Boat Veterans For Truth" over the people who actually had personal contact with Kerry?

Are you saying none of the swift boat vet's had personal contact with Kerry? lol

JD- the 180 is a release of ALL military records as opposed to the select records that Kerry has chosen to release.

kat said:
Are you saying none of the swift boat vet's had personal contact with Kerry? lol

I'm saying that the people in the ads have no more than the most cursory experience with Kerry, and most, if not all, probably never even saw him. The people who were actually on his boat attest to his great performance.

Why is it that you take such a hard stance towards Kerry and demand all his military records be released and assume the worst of him, even though bush never even served overseas in the first place and didn't even show up for his national guard duty for months? No matter what, Kerry's service exceeds bush's, so why even make an issue of it?

1. I'm not making an issue of it, Kerry is.
2. You need to learn a little bit more about the swift boat vets and how the swift boats operated or you would realize that swift boats do not operate singley and that these men bunked together on either a larger boat or on very small base.
3. Steve Gardner did serve on board Kerry's boat.
4. His records should be released because he's running on his records and there are a lot of questions along with proven inconsistency in Kerry's own book, Kerry authorized books, Kerry's media interviews as well as the senate hearing. I also think that Vet's who were maligned by Kerry's senate hearings, false statements in Kerry's authorized biography have a right to be heard and to be vindicated by having the record set straight. Releasing ALL his records would go a long way toward doing that.
5. The media called for Bush to sign his 180 repeatedly until he did, the media should be unbiased and treat each candidate with an even hand else start calling themselves 527's.
6. Bush didn't have to show up for national guard duty for months. The regulations for national guard duty were different at that time then they are now. Maybe you should inform yourself a little better.
7. Quite frankly, I might vote for nader or even write in Rice and until I make up my mind, or even IF I make up my mind I have a right to know everything there is to know about the character of the man that may be running my country. Kerry needs to sign the 180 and stop hiding behind Multi-Billionaire Foriegner Soro's attack dog 527's and our slanted biased media. AND you need to get off the DU forums and start getting information from a little more accurate sources.
blah blah blah!

I also think that Vet's who were maligned by Kerry's senate hearings, false statements in Kerry's authorized biography have a right to be heard and to be vindicated by having the record set straight. Releasing ALL his records would go a long way toward doing that.

Excellent point. Kerry opened himself up for attacks by Vietnam vets by this Senate testimony. It is hypocrisy to cry about such scrutiny.

OK, I was wrong to say that none of the SBVFT served with Kerry. One did. However, the score is still 9-1 in Kerry's favor.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12651105&BRD=9030&PAG=740&dept_id=226967&rfi=6

Last edited by a moderator:
Dissident Dan said:
OK, I was wrong to say that none of the SBVFT served with Kerry. One did. However, the score is still 9-1 in Kerry's favor.

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=12651105&BRD=9030&PAG=740&dept_id=226967&rfi=6
You're still neglecting to understand what "served with" means and the score is not 9-1 in Kerry's favor for that reason AND because over the years Kerry has made conflicting statements as well as damning statements. Rood's statements even conflict with Kerry's statements.

Last edited by a moderator: