Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formal Complaint Filed Over Senator’s Vietnam Awards, Post-Service Activities

1. Aug 18, 2004 #1

kat

Judicial Watch Calls For Investigation Into Kerry’s Medals, Anti-War Actions
    *snip*
    *snip*
    I think this calls for a "wow" moment.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yeah, "Wow!" how low can the repubicans go. Why do I suspect the hand of Richard Mellon Scaife in this. And Judicial Watch is not an equal opportunity gadfly; else why hasn't it been on John Ashcroft's case?

Edit: Gee I got it right!

http://www.cnn.com/ALLPOLITICS/1998/06/11/klayman.jackson/

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  4. Aug 19, 2004 #3
    Judicial Watch hardly looks like a conservative organization:

http://www.judicialwatch.org/cases.shtml

It appears they have been on George W.'s case quite often. If anything, their focus on Republican presidents is so intense that they come across as Leftist muckrakers.

5. Aug 19, 2004 #4

kat

Tom Fitton is a conservative (which doesn't neccesarily make him a republican shill) but JW is non-partisian. Even if that were not the case, it doesn't diminish the possible ramifications of this request.

6. Aug 19, 2004 #5

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I still say this has all the earmarks of a Scaife operation, indeed I wonder about the funding for the whole swift boats enterprise. The JW thing is high-profile and virtually empty of content, a perfect Scaife weapon. And the fact that they accepted funding from him in the past indicates that they are not as pristine as they would like us to believe. I acknowledge that they have done good work on the Cheney energy controversy.

7. Aug 19, 2004 #6

amp

A NY Times article asserts that many deriders who question Kerry's war record hardly knew him or served near him peripherally none of them were crewmates.

8. Aug 19, 2004 #7

kat

"Served near him peripherally" Could you define this?
    and what is the exact quantifier and quantity of "many deriders"?
    I question his war record, do I count?

9. Aug 19, 2004 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is ridiculous. Here's a guy that volunteered for service.

On the other hand, you have someone who ran away and hid and ran away again - and then used daddy to cover it up. The number of inconsistencies in his records are astounding! But as he said to Tim Russert : "he worked it out with the military, so he could be let off early". Yeah, it was more important that he go to Yale so he could have crazy, drunken parties than to have him make himself accountable to the country.

Funny !

10. Aug 19, 2004 #9

amp

Your one, the Q & Q of many includes those who are saying the opposite of what the men who served with him are saying. "("Served near him peripherally" )Could you define this? ". My definition is (you asked) they just happened to be in the same generally location but as far as I know, wasn't there close/near/ajacent/on the same boat or in the same situations as Kerry, I could be wrong and admit that possibility but IMHO these accusations are unsubstantiated.

11. Aug 19, 2004 #10

kat

I don't remember Bush sitting in a meeting and voting on whether or not there should be an attempt to assassinate United States Senators.
    This is also a biggie, IMO. Not to mention his admitted war crimes. My father serverd 2 tours in Vietnam, full tours and he didn't need to shoot naked boys in the back or collude with the enemy. Nor did he get and purple hearts for li'l scratches. This guy is a poser. He shouldn't be using his limited service in Vietnam as his basis for election. I'd rather hear about his Senate record. Oh wait, it's far to liberal to garner the undecided votes he needs to win the election. Give me a break Goku.

12. Aug 19, 2004 #11

amp

KAT:
    Enlighten me Kat, what does that have to do with anything and is there any truth to it. If, I'm right in guessing your refering to Kerry.

13. Aug 19, 2004 #12
    http://daily.nysun.com/Repository/g...Type=text/html&Path=NYS/2004/03/15&ID=Ar00402

Admittedly, I know little about the New York Sun. But I think the following needs to be asked.

Did Kerry belong to the group? (I think even he admits it.)

Did the group ever vote on whether or not to assassinate US politicians? (Looks to be the case)

Was Kerry a member of the group at the time? (Not sure)

Did Kerry participate in the vote? (Not sure)

What was Kerry doing belonging to a group that would even put such a question up for vote in the first place? (I would love to hear his explanation for this one.)

14. Aug 19, 2004 #13
  15. Aug 19, 2004 #14

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Only the Drudge Reports of this world will still carry that nonsense.

Please don't try to establish a generalization based on ONE data point. Kerry was not the only one to talk about war crimes, nor the first.

And if Bush wants to call himself a strong military leader, that's okay, given his history ? "Strength under fire ", my you-know-what. He choked under fire. When the country was under fire, he sat about for 7 minutes without reacting. He froze, and didn't know what to do. That's pathetic, and it's exactly what you want a leader to NOT BE.

And we know who made all the real decisions anyway !

16. Aug 19, 2004 #15

kat

FBI reports = Drudge....mmm didn't know that.

Kerry's a presidential nominee who's admitted committing war crimes in the Vietnam war...and is also attempting to get elected based on that service.

I think he reacted...he continued to read for 7 minutes and then calmly did his job. On the other hand..Kerry admittedly sat there for 40 minutes without being able to think about anything.

Well, we also know that kerry agreed with them all...before he didn't :rofl:

17. Aug 19, 2004 #16

kat

These are men that served "close/near/adjacent/on" the same boat...I beleive three of the men in the swift vets book were actually serving ON the same boat. One was Steve Gardner I believe. I'll look and see if I can confirm that later this evening.

18. Aug 19, 2004 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd like to see the FBI report that says that Kerry sat in a meeting and voted on whether or not to assasinate senators.

This is the most ridiculous argument I've ever seen ! Reading 'My Pet Goat' instead of calmly telling the school kids that he's got "Presidential work" to do, is being applauded ?! What if there were several more attacks during the minutes following ? Doesn't it take a Presidential order to shoot down a commercial airliner ? Shouldn't a President be convening immediately with the NSC to figure out wat to do next ? No, maybe he should continue to read for a little longer, and that only to serve the Nation's interest.

Yes, he wants to prove that he can read, but this is the limit !

Clearly, this is argument for the sake of it. Someone as knowledgeable as you could not say this in their right mind. Bush is the President of the United States. He is ultimately responsible for protecting his people. He can take decisions that result in actions, minutes if not seconds later. A senator does not have that kind of power or responsibility.

Again, Kat, this does not become of you. Surely, you're saying these things only because you have a deep, emotional resentment for Kerry.

19. Aug 19, 2004 #18

amp

What are you attempting to imply here, "Kerry's a presidential nominee who's admitted committing war crimes in the Vietnam war...and is also attempting to get elected based on that service.", Its public knowledge that 'War Crimes' were committed in Vietnam, Kerry seems to have the moral courage to admit he was a part of it and that with the knowledge he had subsquently gained after serving to oppose the war.
    The difference being that ones the CIC and the other was getting info as to what was happening since he was a senator and not privy to much of the info the prez should have been acting on.

20. Aug 19, 2004 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't believe any them actually served on Kerry's boat in that battle. One, Thurlow, did fight in the same battle on another swift boat. Thurlow, like Kerry, received the Bronze Star for actions in that battle. Thurlow's citation also cite's Thurlow's courage in helping to aid another swift boat despite enemy fire.

Evidently Thurlow had misplaced his citation around 20 years ago and didn't recall the details of his own citation. He still stands by his claim that there was no enemy fire and that, if his citation was awarded solely because of enemy fire, then it, too, was awarded fraudulently.

Most, if not all of the men in the swift vets book have a bias against Kerry because of his anti-war actions after leaving active duty. I think that bias is unfounded. No one asks military members to agree with all of the politics that go into going to war or not going to war. The military just has to abide by and vigourously execute whatever decision their country makes.

21. Aug 19, 2004 #20
    What I find funny about this is Bush's record, oh wait there isn't one :rofl:

All this criticism towards Kerry's record, yet no matter what the outcome, it is still better than Bush's.

I have tremendous respect for anyone that fights in a war. Kerry did that. Bush did not. :surprise:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?