Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Formal definition of the Equivalence Principle(s)

1. Jan 15, 2007 #1
    Considering how the various forms of equivalence principle can lead to ambiguous discussions, I would like to know if more formal definitions for the various forms of the Equivalence Principles are available.

I would consider as "formal" all definitions that could be used (formally) to check if a theory satisfies this principle and eventually under which conditions it does.

For example, to avoid useless discussions about alleged contradictions between the EP and GR, a formal definition would make a formal and general proof crystal clear. I would also be interrested to see such a formal proof, although I consider it is rather obvious (WEP + sufficient smoothness of the equations).

Thanks for your help,

Michel

Last edited: Jan 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2007 #2

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

4. Jan 15, 2007 #3
    Thanks Robphy, this is a very interresting reference.
    I also just received a book by the same author on the same subject.
    A little more difficult to read.

However, there is no formal definition to be found there.

What I am looking for is not necessarily a big and complicated mathematical formulation.
    It could be just a little bit more precise than casual english.
    Some statement about trajectories or physical variables in the context of the various forms of EP.

Michel

5. Jan 15, 2007 #4
    The equivalence principle states that what we normally think of as the force of gravity is actually the absence of force: a freely falling observer does not feel his own weight, a freefalling frame is equivalent to an inertial reference frame, flat spacetime.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?