Formal definition of the Equivalence Principle(s)

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter lalbatros
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Definition Equivalence
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
lalbatros
Messages
1,247
Reaction score
2
Considering how the various forms of equivalence principle can lead to ambiguous discussions, I would like to know if more formal definitions for the various forms of the Equivalence Principles are available.

I would consider as "formal" all definitions that could be used (formally) to check if a theory satisfies this principle and eventually under which conditions it does.

For example, to avoid useless discussions about alleged contradictions between the EP and GR, a formal definition would make a formal and general proof crystal clear. I would also be interrested to see such a formal proof, although I consider it is rather obvious (WEP + sufficient smoothness of the equations).

Thanks for your help,

Michel
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
One might start here:
http://relativity.livingreviews.org/open?pubNo=lrr-2006-3&page=articlesu1.html
"The Confrontation between General Relativity and Experiment"
by Clifford M. Will
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Robphy, this is a very interresting reference.
I also just received a book by the same author on the same subject.
A little more difficult to read.

However, there is no formal definition to be found there.

What I am looking for is not necessarily a big and complicated mathematical formulation.
It could be just a little bit more precise than casual english.
Some statement about trajectories or physical variables in the context of the various forms of EP.

Michel
 
The equivalence principle states that what we normally think of as the force of gravity is actually the absence of force: a freely falling observer does not feel his own weight, a freefalling frame is equivalent to an inertial reference frame, flat spacetime.