Forming an Image Behind a Convex Mirror

In summary, an image cannot be formed when the object is behind the mirror with a radius of curvature of R. The focal length of a convex mirror is always negative, meaning that an image cannot be formed.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

An object is placed in front of a
convex mirror whose radius of
curvature is R. What is the greatest
distance behind the mirror that an
image can be formed?

A. Infinity
B. R
C. R/2
D. No image can be formed.

Homework Equations

1/do + 1/di = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if I know how to approach this problem. Will you give me a hint to help get started?

Physics news on Phys.org
you can work out what f is if you know R.

Then try putting the image at each place offered to you as a possibility and work out where the object must be. (Obviously, start with the furthest distance - infinity)

Last edited:
Hi.

1 / ∞ + 1 / do = 1 / f

We know 1 / ∞ will go to zero so that leaves us with do = f. Is this answer wrong because we know the object distance can never equal the focal length?

1 / R + 1 / do = 1 / f .

If we know 2f = R, we can substitute.

1 / 2f + 1 / do = 1 / f

2 / 2do = 1 / 2f - 2 / 2f

2 / 2do = -1 / 2f

Is this the correct answer because the focal length is negative?

1 / R / 2 + 1 / do = 1 / f

2R + 1 / do = 1 / f

1 / do = 1 / f - 2R
I'm not sure why this is wrong (if it is).

1/ What makes you say that the object distance can't equal the focal length?

2/ Think about the significance of do being positive or negative - what does that mean?

1. This was an assumption I made I can't support.

2. The sign of do gives a little insight as to what type of mirror is being used. When the object or image is on the reflecting side of the mirror, the corresponding distance is positive. Otherwise, it is negative. Convex mirrors always produce virtual images so do should be positive for a convex mirror.
3. The focal length of convex mirrors are always negative.

1. How does a convex mirror form an image behind it?

A convex mirror is a curved reflective surface that is thicker at the edges and thinner at the center. When light rays reflect off of this surface, they diverge or spread out. This causes the image to appear smaller and upright behind the mirror.

2. Why is the image formed behind a convex mirror smaller than the original object?

The image formed behind a convex mirror is smaller because the light rays that reflect off the surface diverge or spread out. This makes the image appear smaller than the original object.

3. Can a convex mirror form a virtual image behind it?

Yes, a convex mirror can form a virtual image behind it. A virtual image is an image that appears to be behind a mirror but is not actually there. It is formed when the reflected rays appear to come from a point behind the mirror.

4. How does the distance of the object from a convex mirror affect the size of the image?

The distance of the object from a convex mirror affects the size of the image. The closer the object is to the mirror, the smaller the image will be. As the object moves farther away from the mirror, the image will become larger.

5. Are convex mirrors used in any practical applications?

Yes, convex mirrors are used in a variety of practical applications. They are commonly used as rearview mirrors in cars, security mirrors in stores, and in telescopes to widen the field of view. They are also used in street corners to help drivers see around blind spots.