Formula for the Number of Units in a Ring Modulo a Prime Power

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mathmajor2013
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formula
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
mathmajor2013
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
So the question is:

Suppose p is a prime and n is a positive integer. Find a formula for |(Z/p^nZ)^x|.

I do not know what this notation means, what do the | | mean around this? I know that the other part is the set of all the units in Z/p^nZ, but I have no idea what the | | mean. I don't think it's absolute value. Is it just the elements of it? Thanks for the help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mathmajor2013 said:
I do not know what this notation means, what do the | | mean around this?

"The number of elements in". |{2, 4, 6}| = 3.
 
Do you mean this:

[tex]|({\textbf{Z}} / p^{n}{\textbf{Z}})^{*}|[/tex]

in words: the number of units in the ring [tex]{\textbf{Z}} / p^{n}{\textbf{Z}}[/tex]

(suggestions: if would like to avoid the tex tag you can use the sup tag to write down your statements: |(Z/pnZ)x|
)
 
Last edited: