Foster and Nightingale's introduction to relativity

In summary, it is suggested that the third edition of the book is the most comprehensive and up-to-date option, with additional sections and appendixes. It is recommended to also use other books as secondary sources and to choose one main book to follow closely. Some recommended books include "A Traveller's Guide to Spacetime", "Spacetime Physics", "Introduction to Differential Forms", "Tensors", and "General Relativity". It is noted that many books on general relativity are not meant for self-study and may be better suited as lecture notes. Carroll and Rindler's books are also suggested as complementary options.
Goldbeetle
Dear all,
I've read that this is a good introduction. I also read that the first edition is much different from the the second an third. The reason is that
last two ones are written in more traditional index notation. Which one would you suggest. I'm not "afraid" of the index free notation.

Thanks,
Goldbeetle

Physics news on Phys.org
Goldbeetle said:
Dear all,
I've read that this is a good introduction. I also read that the first edition is much different from the the second an third. The reason is that
last two ones are written in more traditional index notation. Which one would you suggest. I'm not "afraid" of the index free notation.

Thanks,
Goldbeetle

The third edition, since it is more complete and up-to-date, and since it includes the mathematics from the first edition that was left out of the second edition.

From

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387260781/?tag=pfamazon01-20
This new third edition has been updated to take account of fresh observational evidence and experiments. It includes new sections on the Kerr solution (in Chapter 4) and cosmological speeds of recession (in Chapter 6). A more mathematical treatment of tensors and manifolds, included in the 1st edition, but omitted in the 2nd edition, has been restored in an appendix. Also included are two additional appendixes – "Special Relativity Review" and "The Chinese Connection" - and outline solutions to all exercises and problems, making it especially suitable for private study.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot! I should have read the amazon presentation better. Thank you for your time.

General comment: there are so many books on general relativity that it is very difficult to choose.

Goldbeetle said:
General comment: there are so many books on general relativity that it is very difficult to choose.

Yes, there are many, many books on general relativity. If you are trying to learn general relativity on your own, I suggest that you pick one book to follow closely, and a couple more as secondary sources.

I think that in another thread, you said that you have looked at Hartle. Any comments (the good, the bad, and the ugly)?

Yes, I have Hartle's book (and also D'Inverno's.) The initial review of special relativity is a bit too succinct. So I'm reading "A Traveller's Guide to Spacetime" (that I absolutely love!) and "Spacetime Physics". I'm also reading the books by Bachmann and Weintraub as introduction to differential forms (both excellent), the book by Goldberg and Bishop (rigorous) and Lovelock's book on tensors (a lot of indexes but very, very good). Self studying on my spare time is tough but I feel more and more independent.
Even if I'm working very much on differential geometry, I prefer the "physics first" approach in order to boost my motivation with some concrete examples!

Side notes: while browsing some many math and physics books, I have the feeling that most of the books are not meant to be used as "learning-by-reading" tools. Most of them seem to have been in their previous lives very terse lecture notes. Am I too mean? :-D

I think Carroll would be the best complement to the books you have.

I'm also very fond of Rindler's book, which is full of wonderful insights, but both his style and notation are idiosyncratic compared to the other books.

1. What is "Foster and Nightingale's introduction to relativity"?

"Foster and Nightingale's introduction to relativity" is a textbook written by J.D. Foster and J.R. Nightingale that serves as an introductory guide to the theory of relativity. It covers the basics of special and general relativity, as well as their applications in physics and astronomy.

2. Who is the target audience for this textbook?

The textbook is primarily aimed towards undergraduate students in physics and astronomy, as well as anyone with a basic understanding of mathematics and an interest in the theory of relativity.

3. What makes this textbook different from other introductions to relativity?

One unique aspect of this textbook is its approach to teaching relativity through a combination of mathematical explanations and real-world examples, making the concepts more relatable and easier to understand. It also includes a section on the historical development of the theory, providing context for its significance in modern physics.

4. Are there any prerequisites for reading this textbook?

While a basic understanding of mathematics, particularly calculus, is recommended, there are no specific prerequisites for reading this textbook. The authors provide an overview of the necessary mathematical concepts in the beginning chapters.

5. Is this textbook suitable for self-study?

Yes, this textbook can be used for self-study as it includes exercises and solutions for readers to practice and assess their understanding of the material. However, it is also commonly used as a textbook in university courses, with additional guidance and instruction provided by a professor or instructor.