Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Fotran program to find half-life of a radioactive material

1. Oct 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to write a program that, given the decay constant of a radioactive material, will calculate numerically (to withing one second) the time taken for half of the orginal sample of material to decay.

2. Relevant equations
    λ = decay constant C0 = start amount of material

After one second C0 will have decayed leaving C = (1-λ)C0 of undecayed material left.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I only have very basic experince at programming so I am finding this quite difficult. Below is the code that I have created so far.

IMPlICIT NONE
    REAL :: y,C,t !y = decay constant C = starting amount of material t = time
    PRINT*,"Enter decay constant"
    READ*,y
    PRINT*,"Enter starting amount of material"
    READ*,C

DO WHILE (C.GT.C/2)
    C=(1-y)*C
    END DO

PRINT*,"C=",C

I don't really have any idea how I would work out hiw many interations the DO WHILE loop has done which i need to kno in order to work out the half life.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

It's helpful during the testing and debugging stage of writing a program to temporarily add a PRINT statement inside loops so that you can verify operation is exactly as you hope it will be.

Suppose you were to add a PRINT statement inside your DO loop, what useful variables would you like it to print out?

Imagine your program simulates the decay of 100 grams of material having a decay constant of 2.77 milliseconds. What are the first 6 of the output lines that your loop's added PRINT statement would print out?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  4. Oct 13, 2012 #3

jedishrfu

You'll need a variable to act as a counter that you can increment inside the do.while loop.

Why not walk thru your algorithm step by step solving it on paper as if you were a computer?

That should make it easier to design your loop and get your answer.

What does each iteration of the do.while loop represent?

5. Oct 14, 2012 #4
    Thanks for the replies :)

I have managed to get the program to find the amount of undecayed substance left after the half life has been reached.

Here is the new code:
    PROGRAM assignment1
    IMPlICIT NONE
    REAL :: y,C,t,v !y = decay constant C = starting amount of material t = time

PRINT*,"Enter decay constant"
    READ*,y
    PRINT*,"Enter starting amount of material"
    READ*,C
    v=c

DO WHILE (C.GT.v/2)
    C=(1.0-y)*C
    PRINT*,C
    END DO

PRINT*,"C =",C
    END PROGRAM assignment1

I am not sure how I can get a varibale to act as counter inside the loop.
    Any help would be appreciated.

6. Oct 14, 2012 #5

jedishrfu

i=0
    do while (i.lt.10)
    i=i+1
    print *,"i=",i
    end do

7. Oct 14, 2012 #6
    Got it sorted now. Thanks for the help :smile:

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook