Found a great book (series) on Quantum Mechanics

In summary, The books "Lectures On Quantum Mechanics vol. 1, 2, & 3" by Berthold-Georg Englert are based on Schwinger's approach but are much easier to read. They use a spins-first approach which makes them suitable for undergraduate level. Although deemed as "graduate", Sakurai's textbook could also be used for teaching undergraduate courses. There is not necessarily an "intermediate" level between beginner/undergraduate and advanced/graduate.
smodak
The books are based on Schwinger's but is much easier read. Uses my favorite spins-first approach.

Lectures On Quantum Mechanics vol. 1, 2, & 3 by Berthold-Georg Englert

https://www.amazon.com/dp/9812569715/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9812569731/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/9812569758/?tag=pfamazon01-20

I did not buy from Amazon though. I purchased these in international edition (printed on really bad quality newsprint in India) from AbeBooks for a much cheaper price. I wish I hadn't though; having such high quality content printed in decently quality paper would have been much better.

If you are buying from Abebooks look for ISBNs

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the level of the books?

Why is Sakurai's textbook deemed "graduate"? Is there such thing as an "intermediate" between beginner/undergraduate and advanced/graduate?

DrClaude said:
What is the level of the books?
I believe they are at the undergraduate level.

dextercioby said:
Why is Sakurai's textbook deemed "graduate"? Is there such thing as an "intermediate" between beginner/undergraduate and advanced/graduate?
Good Question. In my opinion Sakurai could definitely (at least the first half) be used to teach an undergraduate course.

dextercioby said:
Sakurai's textbook is, in my opinion, well suited for the QM 1 lecture (at least we used it in our lecture and we liked it very much at the time). I still recommend it to start learning quantum theory. As prerequisites, I think the standard undergraduate linear-algebra lecture and Analysis I-III are enough.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that studies the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. It explains the fundamental nature of matter and energy and how they interact.

2. How is Quantum Mechanics different from Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion and describes the behavior of macroscopic objects. Quantum Mechanics, on the other hand, deals with the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level, where classical laws no longer apply.

3. What are some real-world applications of Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics has numerous applications, including the development of transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in modern technologies such as MRI machines, GPS, and quantum computing.

4. Is understanding Quantum Mechanics essential for everyday life?

While Quantum Mechanics is not necessary for daily activities, it has significantly impacted our lives through technological advancements. It also helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of our universe and how everything works at a microscopic level.

5. What are some good resources for learning about Quantum Mechanics?

Some popular books on Quantum Mechanics include "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" by Leonard Susskind and Art Friedman, "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths, and "Quantum" by Manjit Kumar. Online resources such as MIT OpenCourseWare and Khan Academy also offer comprehensive courses on Quantum Mechanics.