1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Difference between these two Griffiths Quantum Mechanics books

1. Jul 9, 2017 #1

RJLiberator

Gold Member

1. Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Introduction...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1499644981&sr=1-1
    ISBN: 978-0131118928

This is the book that my class syllabus suggests based off ISBN number, however it is $119.00 to buy off Amazon.

2. Amazon Link: https://www.amazon.com/Introduction...-1&keywords=Introduction+to+Quantum+Mechanics
    ISBN: 978-1107179868

This book seems to be the same, second edition and all, but has a DIFFERENT ISBN and is only $66.64.

What is the difference, is there any difference, in these two links?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2017 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Different publisher, different number of pages, and different number of chapters. Seems like the cheaper one got more chapters but with smaller number of pages. Yet it's still difficult to judge the printing quality of the book. May be you just go through the reviews to find out if someone actually compares the two versions.

4. Jul 10, 2017 #3

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Thank you for your observations.

Any other inputs on this situation? Would you just get the ISBN assigned via the class syllabus?

5. Jul 11, 2017 #4
    Well, what happens when the prof says, "Refer to Chapt X or page Y of the textbook?"

6. Jul 11, 2017 #5
    Here is what I think happened. Griffiths got fed up with missing chapters (and poor printing quality) of the international editions by Pearson and chose Cambridge as the new publisher instead.

From his website

I think the US versions of both the books will be identical but they may have different page numbers. You should, however, purchase the one your professor recommends for the reasons said in the earlier posts.

7. Jul 12, 2017 #6

RJLiberator

Gold Member

Thank you guys for your help. I decided to e-mail the professor and he assigned the lower priced version of the book.

8. Jul 12, 2017 #7
    Nice work!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted