1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quantum Found an interesting book on Quantum Mechanics

1. Nov 28, 2017 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 28, 2017 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Very nice, thanks! I like the title :smile:

I've bookmarked it and will go through it more soon. I like how it starts with a review of what I learned in undergrad and moves on to subjects I've read about on the PF and beyond. Thanks @smodak :smile:

4. Nov 28, 2017 #3
    Thank you. I downloaded the pdf to read, however, i actually find the HTML version easier to follow (the HTML version is also hot linked to solutions etc.). I was just watching this lecture by prof. Balakrishnan and then I read the corresponding section on the book, and I must say it was a pretty good experience. Now I know this material a bit, so, it will be great if someone who does not can comment on the quality. So far, in my experience, I think the book is very well written.

5. Nov 29, 2017 #4
    I am very interested to follow Balakrishnan's lectures. Just tell one thing: for starting quantum, do you need to go through the whole classical course? I have an idea of Hamiltonian and Lagrangian and also how to draw phase trajectories and understand autonomous systems. Is that enough?

By the way, thanks for the book :smile:

6. Nov 29, 2017 #5
    In my opinion, you should be able to follow to some extent if you know the idea of Lagrangian and Hamiltonian. However, he uses classical mechanics (and electromagnetism) a lot (for analogies etc.), so to really understand and appreciate, you will need to really understand classical mechanics well. He also goes on some tangents about l2 spaces and complex analysis so your math (complex analysis, linear algebra, differential equations) should be strong. My recommendation will be not to skip classical mechanics or any math prerequisites. It is a slower process but a more rewarding one. Unfortunately there is no shortcut to learning physics. Great lectures by the way.

7. Dec 1, 2017 #6

Demystifier

Science Advisor

von Dommelen, the author of the book, also has a good sense of humor. For instance, in Copyright and Disclaimer he says:
    "However, in this web book, I do try to correct “inaccuracies,” OK, blunders, pretty quickly if pointed out to me by helpful readers, or if I happen to think twice."
    Or at page 280:
    "Normal people would therefore indicate it as O or 0. However, physicists are not normal people. They indicate the origin by Γ because the shape of this Greek letter reminds them of a gallows. Physicists just love gallows humor."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted