Found an interesting ''iq'' test online

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of the MENSA IQ test and the enjoyment that was found in taking it. Its from mensas website so it can't be too bad.
sportsstar469
its from mensas website so it can't be too bad. i was just curious how you guys would do. i made sure to keep my time down to 30 minutes (although i did it in 32 minutes).

i got a 20/30 on it which apparently is good enough to pass the real test...
just thought id share it with you guys, since it was pretty fun .

"your score was 20 out of 30.that is a very good score.---- you would have a good chance of passing the MENSA tests."v
http://www.mensa.org/workout2.php

Physics news on Phys.org
There's too many anagram-like questions on it. I'm horrible at those.

leroyjenkens said:
There's too many anagram-like questions on it. I'm horrible at those.

I thought that was the point of discovering who is brilliant and who not. Obviously, if you can't sort out anagrams then you can't possibly be all that smerter. :wink:

That was the most enjoyable mini iq test thing I've taken. I got 28.

I thought that was the point of discovering who is brilliant and who not. Obviously, if you can't sort out anagrams then you can't possibly be all that smerter.
I'm not dumb just because I can't do anagrams.

I'm dumb for other reasons.
That's because you did well. You tend to enjoy things you're good at.
I did awful when I took that test, so it wasn't very enjoyable. I feel I needed a little more time. If they gave me 45 minutes to do it, I think I could have done a lot better.

I've taken a few IQ tests and I do better and better on them the more I take. The first few times, I didn't do well. Once you get the hang of it, you can improve your score; which defeats the purpose of an IQ test to begin with, which is why I don't put much stock in them. And no, I'm not just saying that because I don't have a high IQ. I would say the same thing if I had an IQ of 150. I'm sure I would. Probably.

leroyjenkens said:
That's because you did well.

Not really. It was enjoyable because, unlike most other IQ tests I've seen which tend to rely on non-verbal reasoning, there was a fair share of verbal reasoning in this one. That's why I said it was the most enjoyable. I think I've probably got somewhat equal scores on most IQ tests I've taken.

cristo said:
thats why even if i could pass the mensa test i wouldn't want to join. id be the dumbest one hahahah.t
leroyjenkens said:
I'm not dumb just because I can't do anagrams.I'm dumb for other reasons.

That's because you did well. You tend to enjoy things you're good at.
I did awful when I took that test, so it wasn't very enjoyable. I feel I needed a little more time. If they gave me 45 minutes to do it, I think I could have done a lot better.I've taken a few IQ tests and I do better and better on them the more I take. The first few times, I didn't do well. Once you get the hang of it, you can improve your score; which defeats the purpose of an IQ test to begin with, which is why I don't put much stock in them. And no, I'm not just saying that because I don't have a high IQ. I would say the same thing if I had an IQ of 150. I'm sure I would. Probably.
you;re saying cristo only enjoyed the iq test because he did well, and your ill will towards the iq test has nothing to do with how badly you scored. yet you're saying you probably would still be against iq tests even if your iq was 150? doesn't make to much sense inmy opinions.
also if you're on this forum I am pretty sure you did decent. iq tests arent a good test for someone wanting to major in something BS like music or psych or english, but for someone who wants a logical major like physics iq tests are a good indicator of how skilled you'd probably be in physics. and I am assuming you're ok if you're on this forum.
cristo said:
Not really. It was enjoyable because, unlike most other IQ tests I've seen which tend to rely on non-verbal reasoning, there was a fair share of verbal reasoning in this one. That's why I said it was the most enjoyable. I think I've probably got somewhat equal scores on most IQ tests I've taken.

i had no idea what that scrambled word was supposed to be. (nott he coiled word that was easy)

i got kind of pissed off when i saw thaqt for the question about how old jane was, i put 16 (her age in 4 years from now.) i lose sight of he goal of the question. then when i saw the answer I am like, she is 16! but then i realized they want the current age,

Absurdalny test - za słabo znam angielski, żeby uzyskać sensowny wynik :tongue:

I tied cristo. Missed the two word unscramble problems.

leroyjenkens said:

:rofl:

Though, I agree, anagrams really aren't much of a measure of IQ. (I haven't tried the test yet.) Some find them fun, some not so much.

you;re saying cristo only enjoyed the iq test because he did well, and your ill will towards the iq test has nothing to do with how badly you scored. yet you're saying you probably would still be against iq tests even if your iq was 150? doesn't make to much sense inmy opinions.
I've done well on some IQ tests, but I still believed IQ tests are basically just a game you get better at with practice.
also if you're on this forum I am pretty sure you did decent. iq tests arent a good test for someone wanting to major in something BS like music or psych or english, but for someone who wants a logical major like physics iq tests are a good indicator of how skilled you'd probably be in physics. and I am assuming you're ok if you're on this forum.
Which questions on IQ tests do you think would indicate you could be good at a physics? Some have nothing to do with physics, like the anagram questions.

This isn't an IQ test, it's been around for awhile. I got 29 on it I was going to write the real MENSA test but I don't know how to go about doing this. lol.

My sister who has a learning 'disability' in english scored 23 surprisingly, she's very good at math.

GeorginaS said:
I thought that was the point of discovering who is brilliant and who not. Obviously, if you can't sort out anagrams then you can't possibly be all that smerter. :wink:

leroyjenkens said:

Obviously you missed all of my way spiffy neato cool emphasis replete with italics and whatnot plus! a misspelling to show you that...

okay I forgot what my point was.

17 :( I don't think I was in the right mind state when I did it tho and I tryed to do it as fast as I could so lots of guessing.

I got 23 but there is no way I'd get into MENSA lol. I've done quite a few online IQ tests and have come out with results up to 154! My IQ is probably quite close to 100. Am I right in think that you have to pay to sit a real IQ test with MENSA, if that is the case then most people probably get at least 20/30.

Is anyone a member? What do you do at MENSA meetings, sit around and discuss how superior you are?

*yawn* I have more important things to do, skipped the last bit but still got 20 correct.

Obviously you missed all of my way spiffy neato cool emphasis replete with italics and whatnot plus! a misspelling to show you that...

okay I forgot what my point was.
I caught it. My response was a little more subtle.
I got 23 but there is no way I'd get into MENSA lol. I've done quite a few online IQ tests and have come out with results up to 154! My IQ is probably quite close to 100. Am I right in think that you have to pay to sit a real IQ test with MENSA, if that is the case then most people probably get at least 20/30.

Is anyone a member? What do you do at MENSA meetings, sit around and discuss how superior you are?
I'd like to join so that I can say I'm smart without having done anything besides take a test to "prove it".

I remember doing this test looooong ago. I distinctly remember the first question, which I got right but for the wrong reason. I also remember question #9, which I did by drawing a scale diagram because I hadn't yet learned the Pythagorean theorem. This was probably in grade 5.

Borek said:
Absurdalny test - za słabo znam angielski, żeby uzyskać sensowny wynik :tongue:

Aha, so your English is poor. :biggrin:

ideasrule said:
I remember doing this test looooong ago. I distinctly remember the first question, which I got right but for the wrong reason.

Hahaha don't you love when you do the work wrong yet still get the right answer? Too bad this didn't work in high school :sadface: (The work was worth the most amount of marks lol)

Hahaha don't you love when you do the work wrong yet still get the right answer? Too bad this didn't work in high school :sadface: (The work was worth the most amount of marks lol)
If you get the right answer but did the work wrong, that means you probably just got lucky. Getting lucky doesn't deserve credit.

leroyjenkens said:
If you get the right answer but did the work wrong, that means you probably just got lucky. Getting lucky doesn't deserve credit.

But it sure feels good :wink: (Was that a pun??)

ideasrule said:
I remember doing this test looooong ago. I distinctly remember the first question, which I got right but for the wrong reason. I also remember question #9, which I did by drawing a scale diagram because I hadn't yet learned the Pythagorean theorem. This was probably in grade 5.

yeah the first question had two choices, and i took an educated guess without being to sure of my answer on that one. it turns out i got the answer right but the reasoning was wrong. however on iq tests guessing does reward points. i remember I've taken some psych iq tests wheere you say how sure you are of the answer or if you were guessing. a guess of the correct answer deserves more credit than not getting the answer at all and also shows more understanding then not getting the answer.

lincs-b said:
What do you do at MENSA meetings, sit around and discuss how superior you are?

Yes.

leroyjenkens said:
I caught it. My response was a little more subtle.

Not so subtle that I didn't catch it. I guess I'm being overly subtle too. So. I'll see your two hearts and raise you a club.

Fun little test I got a 25/30 the ones I got wrong were 3 silly word questions the number of 7's and the number of boxes, I never get those number of boxes ones right, what is the trick in those?

I think the trick to the box one is you always think its more. And yea the word problems actually take effort I think that's why I got the wrong. :(

They could have put the correct answer and 2034 and youd go with 2034 just because you know its not 16 or what ever.

and the number of boxes, I never get those number of boxes ones right, what is the trick in those?
Even after seeing the answer, I looked back and was still unable to find the amount of boxes it says. I really think it's wrong.

I hate IQ tests simply because the outcome is just a number. I like the logic based ones a bit more and I only do it from time to time to see if I am slacking, but for the life of me after 2 mins I just don't care. I don't care when wendy cross the finishing line if see travels x distance at x speed...I find it really hard to care at all. or any of those questions really, the outcome is trivial.

I wish there was like a surivival based IQ test. They lock you in the maze and you have to find your way out or something. I am curious to learn things that actually matter in reality.

The last test tried my hardest to stay focused I got 130, no cheating or calculators, or anything of that sort, and I am happy with that.

Virtuous said:
I hate IQ tests simply because the outcome is just a number. I like the logic based ones a bit more and I only do it from time to time to see if I am slacking, but for the life of me after 2 mins I just don't care. I don't care when wendy cross the finishing line if see travels x distance at x speed...I find it really hard to care at all. or any of those questions really, the outcome is trivial.

I wish there was like a surivival based IQ test. They lock you in the maze and you have to find your way out or something. I am curious to learn things that actually matter in reality.

The last test tried my hardest to stay focused I got 130, no cheating or calculators, or anything of that sort, and I am happy with that.

and you should be. with a score of 30 you could be anything you set your mind to.

a survival based iq test would be pretty sweet.

Not a qualifiable IQ test. Mensa is a scam, no surprise there. Anything which relies on language or mathematical acquisition is unreliable.

If you want a legitimate IQ test you should look into a Raven test, probably advanced matrices. It has a testable ceiling at around ~130 IQ, but all reliable fluid intelligence tests do.

Raven's progressive matrices is a non-verbal IQ test that's given to inner-city kids on the basis that established tests take high-culture into account, and are thus biased against the inner-city people.
You can find on-line raven's matrices for free; some of them are a real challenge!

I don't see how abstract patterns are city-biased.

I got a 23...but I've seen some of the problems before. But to compensate, i just skipped all the word problems cus I dun like em. :P

Is anyone on these forums actually part of Mensa? I'm interested in what they do as a member...

Sorry! said:

Yup, love it. I didn't do the work entirely wrong, though: I found a pattern that was restrictive enough to exclude all but one choice, but not as restrictive as "perfect squares".

<h2>1. What is an IQ test?</h2><p>An IQ test is a standardized assessment that measures a person's cognitive abilities, including reasoning, problem-solving, and memory. It is often used to determine a person's intelligence level and potential for success in various tasks.</p><h2>2. How accurate are online IQ tests?</h2><p>Online IQ tests can vary in accuracy, as they are not standardized like traditional IQ tests administered by professionals. Some online tests may be more reliable than others, but they should not be used as the sole measure of intelligence.</p><h2>3. Can an IQ test really measure intelligence?</h2><p>IQ tests are designed to measure certain cognitive abilities, but they do not provide a complete picture of a person's intelligence. Other factors, such as emotional intelligence and creativity, are not typically measured by IQ tests.</p><h2>4. Are online IQ tests a valid way to assess intelligence?</h2><p>Online IQ tests may provide some insight into a person's cognitive abilities, but they should not be used as the sole measure of intelligence. It is important to consider the source and validity of the test before placing too much weight on the results.</p><h2>5. How can I improve my IQ score?</h2><p>IQ scores are not fixed and can change over time. Engaging in activities that stimulate the brain, such as reading, puzzles, and learning new skills, can help improve cognitive abilities and potentially lead to a higher IQ score.</p>

1. What is an IQ test?

An IQ test is a standardized assessment that measures a person's cognitive abilities, including reasoning, problem-solving, and memory. It is often used to determine a person's intelligence level and potential for success in various tasks.

2. How accurate are online IQ tests?

Online IQ tests can vary in accuracy, as they are not standardized like traditional IQ tests administered by professionals. Some online tests may be more reliable than others, but they should not be used as the sole measure of intelligence.

3. Can an IQ test really measure intelligence?

IQ tests are designed to measure certain cognitive abilities, but they do not provide a complete picture of a person's intelligence. Other factors, such as emotional intelligence and creativity, are not typically measured by IQ tests.

4. Are online IQ tests a valid way to assess intelligence?

Online IQ tests may provide some insight into a person's cognitive abilities, but they should not be used as the sole measure of intelligence. It is important to consider the source and validity of the test before placing too much weight on the results.

5. How can I improve my IQ score?

IQ scores are not fixed and can change over time. Engaging in activities that stimulate the brain, such as reading, puzzles, and learning new skills, can help improve cognitive abilities and potentially lead to a higher IQ score.